We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Antequera as a base to visit the nearby touristy towns

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
5,234 posts
335 reviews
Using Antequera as a base to visit the nearby touristy towns

Is Antequera a good base to visit Granada, Cordoba, Seville and Rhonda from? I would be using public transport. Bus or train it doesn't matter, whatever is convenient. Is it easy to get to Antequera from Malaga?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,837 posts
292 reviews
1. Re: Using Antequera as a base to visit the nearby touristy towns

As others will say, you can spend plenty of time just travelling between Antequera and especially Seville and Granada. Cordoba is not so bad and Malaga on the bus is one hour. You can reach Ronda by the train. There are two train stations in Antequera. One in the town and one several kms away called Santa Ana. Look at the Timetables on RENFE for more. www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/horarios.html

personally I think it is better to stay in two cities : Seville and Granada and see Cordoba and Ronda by in between transit trips or day trips.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Using Antequera as a base to visit the nearby touristy towns

Antequera is indeed the geographical centre of our region, and there is no more central place where you could stay to visit those cities.

The problem is that you are restricting yourself to day visits to cities as important as Seville, Granada, Córdoba or Málaga. Staying in a couple of cities makes a lot more sense to me. I agree with Cádiz.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
70,683 posts
3,787 reviews
3. Re: Using Antequera as a base to visit the nearby touristy towns

Box:

I would choose Seville as a base because it has more sights and is a transportation hub.

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and book early.

Antequera has a wealth of churches.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
5,234 posts
335 reviews
4. Re: Using Antequera as a base to visit the nearby touristy towns

Thank you all for your comments and advice. On reflection I agree with everything you all said. I have been to Granada, Cordoba, Rhonda and Seville on an organised and rushed coach trip in the past. I wanted to see them again at my own pace but I understand now that the distances may be too great. I think that I might hop, skip and jump between locations and even get Cadiz thrown in.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Using Antequera as a base to visit the nearby touristy towns

If one was visiting in January, when public transportation is somewhat limited, would your answers be the same regarding basing in Antequera? How difficult and expensive is it to find parking at the aforementioned tourist sights?

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,814 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Using Antequera as a base to visit the nearby touristy towns

In January you're going to be reasonably OK as far as parking goes - provided you're prepared to pay for it of course. I still think you're better having some days in either Sevilla or Córdoba (they're near each other) and then in Granada. Day trips don't give you the slightest idea of how these cities really work,: Seville, for example, doesn't really come alive until midnight.

People often underestimate the size of Andalucía and thus the distances involved. As a rough guide it's about the same area as England without Devon & Cornwall.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,837 posts
292 reviews
7. Re: Using Antequera as a base to visit the nearby touristy towns

Public transport is not going to be "somewhat limited" especially using the train. But you will need to weigh up the costs and times if you are considering trains. May be good for example (depending on where you stay and if you have a rental car) to drive the 20kms to Santa Ana station for a 40 minutes train ride to Cordoba. But study the train times and return prices?

8. Re: Using Antequera as a base to visit the nearby touristy towns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 00:45
Get answers to your questions about Antequera
More Antequera Topics