We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scary Mountain drive? Sedona to Williams

tampa
1 post
1 review
Scary Mountain drive? Sedona to Williams

We are not experienced mountain driver and are wondering what the drive is like from Sedona to Williams. I know it is short distance,but what are the roads like? Is it scary ride (no barriers,etc.)

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,746 posts
90 reviews
1. Re: Scary Mountain drive? Sedona to Williams

Hwy 89A is fairly flat with some curves for most of the distance through Oak Creek Canyon. At the north end of the canyon, the highway ascends up and out of the canyon with some curves and switchbacks. Is it scary? I believe there are barriers where there are dropoffs. It's safe, and is really only about 10 minutes if that much. At the top is a vista point with great views.

If you think this will bother you, leave Sedona by Highway 179 back to I-17 north to I-40 west to Williams. It takes about 15-20 minutes more than the other way.

If you are visiting Sedona, and don't want to drive all the way up and out of Oak Creek Canyon, be sure to take a drive up Hwy 89A, and turn around before the end of the canyon. It's only about an hour total without stops.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,651 posts
249 reviews
2. Re: Scary Mountain drive? Sedona to Williams

The drive is not scary and you will have no problems.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,400 posts
449 reviews
3. Re: Scary Mountain drive? Sedona to Williams

I don't feel it's completely accurate to say the road is not scary. I have been "scared" or nervous on that road and will not drive it myself. I will ride in the car while someone else drives but I cannot drive it. I have a terrible fear of heights and switchbacks are the worst for me. In Europe I have actually sat on the floor of some buses climbing mountains, or almost laid down in the car so as not to see out the window on switchbacks.

I have made myself do things as I believe I am not going to travel that far and miss out on opportunities. We took friends up this road in March and the woman was very apprehensive. So to say it's not scary - is not right for everyone. It all depends on where you are coming from.

I do feel as Bob said that the road is perfectly safe and there are barriers. Drivers do take the road reasonably, but I do get a knot in my stomach every time we go up or down. Would it keep me from riding on it - no.

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
4. Re: Scary Mountain drive? Sedona to Williams

Some people do get scared on the curves in Oak Creek Canyon from Pumphouse Wash to the overlook. I personally don't think it is any big deal, but I have had some people mention that it scared them.

The total distance of the "scary" part is only about five miles.

5. Re: Scary Mountain drive? Sedona to Williams

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 19:47