We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altitude issues with ears?!

Level Contributor
345 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Altitude issues with ears?!

My aunt has problems with her ears at high altitude. Will she have a problem driving to Williams and then taking the train and bus tour to the south rim?! Any suggestion or tips?! Thanks!!!

Grand Canyon South Rim Day Trip from...
168 reviews
from US$ 157.46*
Special Offer
3-Day National Parks Camping Tour...
83 reviews
from US$ 598.49*
US$ 629.99
Grand Canyon Railway Adventure Package
4,113 reviews
from US$ 139.99*
Grand Canyon West Rim Tour with Lunch
25 reviews
from US$ 626.75*
12 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,454 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Altitude issues with ears?!

Doubtful that she'll have issues at 7,000 feet asl.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Altitude issues with ears?!

If she's driving to Williams, is there any particular reason she doesn't want to just drive herself to the South Rim rather than take the train, which many on this forum don't really recommend? That way she'd get more time there and her time would be her own.

Level Contributor
345 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Altitude issues with ears?!

We are going just to take the train. She has always wanted to take the train. I understand some people don't want to take the train or think it's a waste of money. She loves trains and it's something she has always wanted to do but we didn't think about ear issues. So with that being said...will the train and the bus give her any issues?! Anyone with ear problems every do this and have any issues?! Thanks so much!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,778 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Altitude issues with ears?!

At Williams you would already be at 6800 ft asl. GCNP is only slightly higher than that at an average of about 7000 ft asl. Where are you traveling from? Depending on the direction from which you come, the ascent can be gradual or more abrupt.

If you are coming from California to ride the GCRR train, that's a long way to come for a fairly unremarkable 50s era train. There is a steam excursion once a month, usually the first Saturday of each month. The passenger cars are 50s/60s era. You do not see the canyon from the train at any point. The scenery is the same as you would see if driving from Williams to GC Village.

Level Contributor
345 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Altitude issues with ears?!

We are in the Phoenix area for my uncles 90th. I doubt we will ever come back to Arizona. So we will be travelling from Phoenix area to Williams.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Altitude issues with ears?!

Perhaps you should ask her doctor for advice about her ear problem and the elevations she will encounter. He is the best judge.

Since this train trip is something you have your heart set on, I hope it lives up to your expectations and makes a good memory for you. Good luck.

Level Contributor
345 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Altitude issues with ears?!

We have no expectations except a train ride and bus ride with the kids. And we would have asked her doctor if we would have thought about it. Obviously we know a doctor is the best person to ask but this was a last minute thing and thought someone on here might have insight. Apparently I asked the wrong people, who seem to have a lot of hostility regarding a train and bus. I think anytime spent with family making memories, will be a great time

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,454 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Altitude issues with ears?!

So you didn't like my reply?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,563 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Altitude issues with ears?!

None of us here are medical professionals (or if we are, we really can't give medical advice). No need to be rude, we are just volunteers helping with travel advice, not medical advice. Take the train and bus and have fun.

Level Contributor
345 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Altitude issues with ears?!

Redrox, yes I did like your response. Thank you! The rest just seem to want to be negative regarding a train ride. Thank you for the response...we will try tomorrow and see how she does !

Reply to: Altitude issues with ears?!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted