We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Williams to San Diego - drive one day

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Williams to San Diego - drive one day

Hello. We are planning to drive to San Diego from Williams Arizona in one day mid May; what is the best route and are there any interesting sites along the way?

We will have spent 2 days at Grand Canyon. Thanks

Special Offer
3-Day National Parks Camping Tour...
124 Reviews
from US$ 598.49*
US$ 629.99
Grand Canyon Railway Adventure Package
4,206 Reviews
from US$ 146.99*
Grand Canyon South Rim Day Trip from...
194 Reviews
from US$ 157.46*
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,638 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Williams to San Diego - drive one day

For a one day drive, you have about an 8 hour drive plus stops; plan 9-10 hours. A logical scenic detour would be Joshua Tree NM NW of Palm Springs, maybe another hour without stops. There are other things but it depends on how much time you want to take.

Edited: 20 March 2017, 05:52
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Williams to San Diego - drive one day

yes, I agree it will be a long day. Is one of the highways route 66? is it worthy of travelling through?

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,638 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Williams to San Diego - drive one day

You can drive Route 66 from Seligman west of Williams to Kingman. It will add a half hour without stops. The only reason to take would be to stop in Seligman and at the Hackberry General Store. There is also a scenic segment from Kingman to Oatman which will add at least an hour to your travel without stops. Oatman is an old town with some shops and wild burros in the streets.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Williams to San Diego - drive one day

I suggest turning South, on the 89 at Ash fork .. Continuing to Prescott & down the"Hill" to the 71/60/I-10 West , to Blythe ... There turn South, on the 78 to the Imperial Vy. Following the scenic I-8,into the San Diego area ... Happy trails ... carracar

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,638 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Williams to San Diego - drive one day

Most of the route which carracar suggests is scenic. I would estimate it at 9 hours plus stops.

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Williams to San Diego - drive one day

thanks - your comments are very helpful!

7. Re: Williams to San Diego - drive one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2018, 11:47