We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Drake Bay and Accomodations

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Drake Bay and Accomodations

I am travelling with one other and currently have our trip booked from San Jose to La Fortuna and then to Monteverde. We are having trouble figuring out transportation from Monteverde to the Osa Peninsula area. If anyone could weigh in on the following that would be great:

1) We are trying to decide if it makes more sense to fly from Liberia (LIR) or San Jose (SJO) - we will be taking a private bus most likely to get to the airport.

2) Sansa Airlines has two different prices shown for tickets on their site. One under the title "FPROMO" and the other "REG16" with the former being the least expensive. What do these mean? I emailed them but have not received a response yet.

3) Nature Air offers "loco fares" which are restricted to 15 lbs of luggage. What is the penalty if I book for this and weigh-in at 20 lbs? Sansa states that overages in weight will be charged at $1 per pound but cannot find anything similar for Nature Air.

4) We were originally looking at staying in Finca Maresia, but are looking elsewhere due to negative reviews about the owner and the noise coming from the "common area" being able to be heard in the cabins. Any chance someone can comment on this part of Finca Maresia specifically? We are now looking into Sunset Lodge instead so comments/comparisons on that would be appreciated as well.

5) Is the city of Drake (or any other local towns in the Drake Bay area) really that devoid of restaurants? I would prefer the option to visit other restaurants rather then the on-site hotel one.

Thanks in advance.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,785 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Drake Bay and Accomodations

ad 1. it makes more sense flying from SJO

ad 2. cheaper rate usually means less luggage; excess luggage require extra payment; how much depends on the airline you will use

ad 3. see above

ad 4. read more reviews; many of small local places are either love them or hate them;

ad 5. there is no "city of Drake (or any other local towns in Drake Bay area)"!! Only a group of houses, a church and a pier. And yes, it is really that devoid of restaurants, that is why majority of accommodations are on the DB&B basis at least.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Drake Bay and Accomodations

Re: 4 - Bad reviews of Finca Maresia? Noise? Negative reviews of the owner? Are we really talking about Finca Maresia or has there been some confusion? As of today, there are 415 "Excellent" rated reviews for the place as opposed to one "Terrible". I cannot imagine why you have come to the conclusion you have on the basis of that. I would hate you to miss out on the stay of a lifetime so will add my bit, based on our own two stays there. It was the one place in Costa Rica we felt we had to return to, even though the second holiday was primarily to visit areas we could not cover on the first trip. The Osa - and Finca Maresia as part of it, had SO much to offer and even after a total of 9 nights there now, I still would love to return and see more.

The cabins are scattered around the large grounds and most are quite some way from the "common area" where you eat meals or stare out over the view. It would be hard to imagine any noise travelling from this area to even the nearest cabin, but with so few people staying at any one time and all of them seemingly like-minded people, ie enjoying the glorious peaceful surroundings that it offers, I cannot imagine them making noise anyway. That certainly was not our experience on either stay. it was peaceful with a capital "P". The evening meal is served early and people tend to disperse before mid evening because of excursions early the next day. The only noise at Finca Maresia comes from howler monkeys at dawn, flocks of noisy parrots or the scarlet macaws and toucans as they fly over. I didn't hear anyone complaining about that :)

Eating out ... it's true the options are a little limited at Drake itself and it is a bit of a hike to the main village from the Finca, so that could be a drawback to anyone who likes to wander to a different restaurant every night, although there are one or two places to try. However, the dinners at Finca Maresia were excellent and, much as we normally dislike the idea of communal eating, it was something we really looked forward to there. The food was terrific and the company we shared was all a part of it; everyone was sharing a wonderful setting and a common interest in being there and enjoying the same things. I am already looking back at our recent stay and wondering when we can make it a third.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Drake Bay and Accomodations

You seem to already be committed to flying, but if you have a little time and can allow another overnight stop along the way to break the long journey south, you might enjoy getting to Drake Bay via Quepos or Manuel Antonio. You can take a comfortable and competitively priced shuttle bus from Monteverde to Manuel Antonio one day (beautiful journey and the bus will make a stop at "Crocodile Bridge" near Tarcoles where you can usually see at least 20 or more giant crocs). From Quepos/Manuel Antonio, you can take a further shuttle bus the following morning which will drop you off at Sierpe in time for the river taxi at 11.30. You then have an exhilarating 1 hour boat ride down the river and out to Drake Bay - $15 pp. On arrival, you are collected and taken to Finca Maresia. Can highly recommend that way of reaching the Osa if you have the time to spare.

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Drake Bay and Accomodations

xelas - Thanks for the response.

SusieStAustell - There were several reviews outside of TripAdvisor that had a common theme of poor management and noise. The hundreds of positive reviews do outweigh them yes but I feel much better getting a more personal response from someone like yourself who could describe the facility better. Great to hear about the dinners, may not need to travel anywhere if they are how you describe.

We are not exactly tight on time and can expand the trip another day to accommodate a day of travel if necessary. Initially we were looking to avoid the long bus trip but the trip you described sounds really cool (especially the crocodile bridge!). I will look into this option some more. Is there a specific company you went with for that trip?

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Drake Bay and Accomodations

Hi again Vanessa

I'm delighted you are rethinking and might even snatch a quick stay at Manuel Antonio as well. I might even try to convince you to have a second night there, to enable a full day in the national park before moving on down south, as it's incredible, even if you also go on to enjoy the remote beaches of the Osa as well. Just don't stay on a Sunday and Monday night if you want to do that, as the park is closed on Mondays.

Back to the logistics of the journey to Manuel Antonio by shuttle: I don't think it matters which shuttle service you use. We have travelled that route on 3 occasions now, each by different shuttle and all have taken a break at the crocodile bridge at Tarcoles. It's a convenient stopping point and is so unique, I would imagine they all do. We did most of our trip independently, including our booking of Finca Maresia, but the specific shuttle we used when travelling south from Monteverde to Manuel Antonio was organised through AnywhereCostaRica, an agency which seems to be pretty well respected from the feedback I've seen on this forum. We used them to book some of our travel and hotels, but made other travel arrangements and accommodation bookings ourselves. It was the same with the shuttle from Manuel Antonio to Sierpe - we arranged it direct with a shuttle company on one trip and through AnywhereCostaRica on the other. The cost was the same.

Hope this helps!

hesperia,ca
Level Contributor
242 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Drake Bay and Accomodations

Desafio and Jacama are two great transfer tour options from Monteverde to MA, both stopping for lunch and croc boat ride at Tarcoles. Either can likely point you in the right direction for transfer from MA to Sierpe, where you can boat the rest of the way from river to ocean to Osa.

7. Re: Traveling to Drake Bay and Accomodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2018, 11:47