We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basic Questions

Homestead, Iowa
Level Contributor
108 posts
14 reviews
Basic Questions

We are planning a trip for next year, hopefully in May. I know that reservations for the campground cannot be made until February, but I am a big planner and like to have everything organized so I am getting going on it now.

We are planning to fly into Vegas and rent a car, then drive to Grand Canyon Caverns and camp overnight. The next morning we plan to drive to the trailhead (early enough to beat most of the heat) and hike down. Hoping to stay for four nights, then hike back out and head back to Vegas.

If we are able to secure a permit, do you pay over the phone or at the main office when picking up your permit? How do cancellations work if you need to make one? Is there a cancellation fee, etc.?

We have read that the campground has toilets, but no showers. Not an issue because we are used to backcountry camping, but wondered if the Supai Tribe has any sort of regulation on biodegradable camp soap? When we backcountry camp in Glacier, they have regulations on how they want you to wash off in the backcountry. Strange question, but I wondered how others went about this when staying for a few days in the canyon. Thanks in advance!

Munich
Level Contributor
10,297 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Basic Questions

Have you read this:

grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging/phantom-ranch/

There are showers, sure.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Basic Questions

Phantom Ranch is not in the same area as Havasu Falls. There are no showers in the campground at Havasu. When I camped there, and this was probably 10 years ago so the rules may have changed, people were washing off in the creek using biodegradable soap.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,162 posts
250 reviews
3. Re: Basic Questions

The toilets are Havasu are reported to be primitive and usually absent of toilet paper. Bring your own to be assured of having some.

If you are successful in reserving a site, you'll be advised of the process at that time.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Supai
Level Contributor
2,013 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Basic Questions

From everything I've read, no soap of any kind is allowed in the creek -- not even biodegradable soap. I've read a couple of times that it *might* be acceptable to use soap if you're at least a few hundred feet away from the creek (and any other water sources), but I wouldn't guarantee it.

Camping reservations don't require any advance payment -- but make sure you have your confirmation number, and identification showing you're the person who made the reservation.

When I was there (a couple of years ago), the toilets were pretty nice -- even fairly sweet smelling, considering. Nonetheless, it's always a good idea to bring your own toilet paper, just in case.

Edited: 05 August 2016, 23:50
Homestead, Iowa
Level Contributor
108 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Basic Questions

Well we are used to camping with pit toilets and we always carry our own toilet paper, just in case! I suppose we will pack in biodegradable soap and find out the rules upon picking up the permit. Thanks for the input!

Munich
Level Contributor
10,297 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Basic Questions

"""""Phantom Ranch is not in the same area as Havasu Falls."""

OMG, I know this.

I mixed it up because I read, Amanda would drive to Grand Canyon south rim. This was wrong reading. Sorry.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,831 posts
90 reviews
7. Re: Basic Questions

Amanda: You will need to be flexible on your dates. As frequently reported, it is difficult to get through on the tribe's phone lines. Weekends will go first.

Homestead, Iowa
Level Contributor
108 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Basic Questions

We don't have specific dates that we need to go, but with the general flight schedule of Allegiant into either Vegas or Phoenix, we would be staying during the week.

Phoenix, Arizona...
Level Contributor
86 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Basic Questions

Hey Amanda, when I was there three years ago, the composting toilets were brand new and had toilet paper available. I suggest bringing wipes just as a backup. You will need a flashlight when you go at night though.

They will collect payment upon your arrival to the camp. That's what they did to us and we were a big group, you will not be allowed to enter the village without paying first and getting a wristband that proves you paid and have a reservation. Honestly, they have never checked for these anywhere, not at the campground and not in the village, but I wouldn't risk it.

As far as I know, biodegradable soap was acceptable but could be wrong.

Homestead, Iowa
Level Contributor
108 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Basic Questions

Thank you for the helpful information!

Get answers to your questions about Supai