We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in August

Phoenix, Arizona...
Level Contributor
86 posts
9 reviews
Camping in August

I've been to Havasupai many times, but never in the summertime. Going there next month and not sure what to expect weather wise when it comes to camping. My group and I are having a hard time deciding with A) should we bring a tent or camp under the stars due to possible hot weather

B) sleep inside a fly tent C) sleep in hammocks. I am worried we might be too hot inside a 4 person tent. Taking some newbies and wanna make sure they dont lose their mind with extreme weather conditions. Thank you in advance.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,321 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Camping in August

Average night time low temperature for Supai in August is 64 degF, so not uncomfortably hot conditions for sleeping. Even if you consider +/- 10 degrees from the average, temperatures are reasonable.

What stands out more is that August is the highest precipitation month of the year. It's "monsoon season" in the Grand Canyon region in general and Havasu Canyon isn't immune. Most of the big flash floods it has suffered have happened in August.

I would definitely take some sort of rain shelter even if you choose not to sleep inside it. You can cowboy camp if it doesn't look like it will rain that night.

Phoenix, Arizona...
Level Contributor
86 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Camping in August

Thanks DetTigerFan u answered a lot of my questions! I didn't want to risk it without a tent and proper sleeping equipment. 64 degrees to us Phoenix people means FREEZING

3. Re: Camping in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2017, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Supai