We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Havasupai in February 2016

France
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Havasupai in February 2016

Hi,

I've read plenty of information there, that's great.

I would like to visit the falls in Feburary 2016, I know reservations open sometimes in mid January, will they accept reservations for Feb (which means a few weeks after my call ) ?

Thanks for your time

Kinan

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,426 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Havasupai in February 2016

The most recent info we have seen here is that they will open reservations in February. It will be cold there in February. But you can certainly try calling them. Might get kind of expensive calling from France.

Average temperatures from Wunderground weather history for mid-February are 43F/2C high daytime and 18F/-10C at night.

London, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Havasupai in February 2016

Reservations tend to open in late January/early February - no fixed date, they'll start taking calls when they feel like it. I'd call and keep calling until you get an answer.

Whether you can actually visit in February, i'm not sure. I guess you can but I've never read a report of a February visit. Most people tend to visit between April - October. In February it will be cold. Days will be short, the sun will be low in the sky and it won't peek over the walls of the canyon for very long.

Try it though. The desert in winter can also be very beautiful. There will be a calm and stillness down there that doesn't exist once the crowds arrive in Spring and Summer.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,426 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Havasupai in February 2016

if you were able to go in February, I would recommend strongly not to camp. Staying in the lodge would be a better choice. Below freezing temps at night are miserable camping, and there are minimal amenities and facilities there.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,238 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Havasupai in February 2016

Other than the 20 mile round trip hike from the "hilltop" trail Head down & up, to the village & falls camping areas ... The related issue will be ... the 120 mile drive on a ill maintained(in winter) secondary road off the Rt' 66 (secondary) road. You will probably be driving a rental unit ... not well suited to navigate these roads in a winter storm ... Think this proposal through ... before committing to what could become a real adventure ! ... Happy trails(I hope) carracar

5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Havasupai in February 2016

I've been trying to call Havasupai to reserve a camping spot. However, I have not been able to get through. It's been two days. Have anyone gotten through to reserve a camping permit? Please let me know and how you did it.

Mentioned in this post
Havasupai Lodge
Havasupai Lodge
239 Reviews
Supai, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,830 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Havasupai in February 2016

Hundreds of callers have gotten through. Be patient. Be persistent. There are 4 telephone lines and one person to answer each of them.

Edited: 03 February 2016, 00:31
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Havasupai in February 2016

Thank you for your quick response. At least I know that some people have gotten through. I've been calling for the past two days to reserve for this month February 2016. Hope I will get through. =) *fingers crossed

Santa Clara...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Havasupai in February 2016

anyone know what is their working time? I heard they start at Mt time 8am but have no idea when they stop taking calls (so that I don't need to keep trying for the day)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,830 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Havasupai in February 2016

They're on indian time. Don't count on a schedule.

I don't mean to sound callous. But they don't punch a clock. And they really don't care about your work or vacation time.

Edited: 03 February 2016, 05:57
Phoenix, Arizona
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Havasupai in February 2016

It sure is a test of patience with this system they have. My phone is auto-redialing them, on call #416 as I type this.