We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is heli-hiking tour to havasu falls up yet?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Is heli-hiking tour to havasu falls up yet?

Please post any information you know of to arrange a one day tour of Havasu Falls. The below is helpful but is now 3 years later and I am hoping that things are up and running again. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Havasu Falls
Havasu Falls
470 Reviews
Supai, AZ
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,426 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is heli-hiking tour to havasu falls up yet?

The Papillon tour to Havasu Falls has not operated for several years. It might be possible to arrange a 2-day tour by using the regular helicopter service to the village from Hualapai Hilltop during the period from 3/15-10/15. It does not operate every day, and only 2 days a week in late fall and winter. Tribal members and people doing business with the tribe have priority on every flight, which can mean lengthy delays. The provider is Airwest Helicopters at 1-623-516-2790.

Edited: 17 December 2012, 01:26
Mentioned in this post
Havasu Falls
Havasu Falls
470 Reviews
Supai, AZ
Hualapai Hilltop
Hualapai Hilltop
27 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is heli-hiking tour to havasu falls up yet?

Thank you! This confirms the myriad of inquiries I have made. I maybe asking too much but it is my desire to hike :a couple days in the Grand Canyon to Havasu Falls and Antelope Canyon. Is this possible in 10 days? Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Havasu Falls
Havasu Falls
470 Reviews
Supai, AZ
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,426 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is heli-hiking tour to havasu falls up yet?

The hike to Havasu Falls is in a remote location far from the South Rim portion of the national park. There are several good trip reports in TA, and in fact linked from the Top Question at top right in this forum you are reading.

A normal minimum trip to Havasu is 3 days, one day hiking down, one day at the falls, and one day hiking back up. Trip reports reflect from 3-6 hours for each trip hiking in and out. There is lodging at the Supai Lodge in the town, or camping. Permits are required for camping, and are included in lodge reservations.

Besides the helicopter, for which you would need to allow 3-4 days for the heli schedule itself, it is possible to arrange to travel in and out by horse.

The closest town, and the closest overnight lodging prior to the trip, is Peach Springs, which has a lodge operated by the Hualapai tribe.

Antelope Canyon, both upper and lower, can be seen in less than half a day.

So, yes, you can do that in 10 days, actually less. You would want to plan other destinations in the same trip.

Mentioned in this post
Havasu Falls
Havasu Falls
470 Reviews
Supai, AZ
Grand Canyon South Rim
Grand Canyon South Rim
20,765 Reviews
Supai
Supai
Arizona
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is heli-hiking tour to havasu falls up yet?

Thank you kindly! I can include Zion and maybe Brice. I'll start working on it. Happy Holidays!

Mentioned in this post
Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,186 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is heli-hiking tour to havasu falls up yet?

Just so you're clear, Antelope Canyon is located near the town of Page/Lake Powell Arizona, a totally different area from Havasu Canyon. Antelope Canyon is also not an "overnight" type of hike, the main sections (Upper and Lower) can be seen and enjoyed in less than one day's time. If you want to add another "dimension" to it, maybe take a boat tour of the "waterside" of the canyon on Lake Powell. Page has many other activities to offer as well, so staying at least 2 nights there is recommended.

But the main thing was to make sure you were fully aware that Antelope Canyon and Havasu Canyon are not connected or located close to one another.

As for the Heli-Hike from Grand Canyon South Rim, it was suspended in 2008 after the flood and has yet to be reinstated. "Unofficial" word from the Havasupai Tribe on that subject was "don't call us, we'll call you." So for the time being, Air West is the only helicopter service that goes there regularly. Tribe members, their employees, etc., get first "dibs" on their seats; tourists are relegated to the back of the line. Then there's the matter of getting a room at the lodge or a camping spot. The tribal office manages these and they only take bookings by phone; problem is they only answer the phone when/if they have openings to sell and/or when/if they feel like it. It's VERY frustrating; I tried for a couple of years to put a trip together and finally gave up and forked over the $$$ for Papillon's trip (got it in 2 weeks before the canyon flooded!).

A company called Pygmy Guides offers 3- to 5- day trips to Supai and they take care of all the details, which is wonderful. Info on them here ->: http://bit.ly/VLWbJt You might give them a call, especially if you're wanting to accomplish your trip this season.

Mentioned in this post
Havasu Canyon
Havasu Canyon
16 Reviews
Grand Canyon South Rim
Grand Canyon South Rim
20,765 Reviews
Havasupai Lodge
Havasupai Lodge
239 Reviews
Supai, AZ
Supai
Supai
Arizona
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is heli-hiking tour to havasu falls up yet?

You are obviously knowledgeable about the area. Do you arrange and guide trips? Can I call you to make some arrangements? It will be for late spring, summer, fall of 2013. Thank you.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,186 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is heli-hiking tour to havasu falls up yet?

@HikerDoc1208 - thanks for the compliments. I do work in the Grand Canyon tourism industry, but not as a hiking guide, hence the suggestion to contact Pygmy Guides. In all fairness they are not the "only game in town," but to my knowledge they are reputable and their prices are reasonable. Other Grand Canyon hiking tour services are Discovery Treks and the Grand Canyon Field Institute. Here's a full list ->: nps.gov/grca/…Guided_Backpacking_Trips.pdf

If you send me a PM (private message) I would also be happy to try and answer any questions you might have there too.

Mentioned in this post
Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,186 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is heli-hiking tour to havasu falls up yet?

bump

9. Re: Is heli-hiking tour to havasu falls up yet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2013, 10:45