We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Updated Information on Havasupai trip

Utah
Level Contributor
14 posts
461 reviews
Save Topic
Updated Information on Havasupai trip

I really appreciated the fulsome report on the May 2011 trip, and I'm wondering if others have been there more recently and can update the report. For instance, we are wondering about eating at the cafe. Is it still closing at 5 pm?

And are they not open for breakfast? (One post seemed to suggest that.)

Are the helicopter exits limited to just four days of the week as the website suggests? (We are departing on a Tuesday, which doesn't seem to be on the schedule, and we're somewhat nervous about the hike back to the hilltop.)

Any recommendations on food to take in? (We are staying at the lodge and not camping so just bringing change of clothes in our packs, no cooking equipment.)

Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,827 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Updated Information on Havasupai trip

I haven't been there recently so can't give specifics. But my best advice is to think total self reliance. Nothing at Havasu is written in stone, and you have absolutely no recourse in the event of a shortage of food or transportation.

Visitors are always lowest priority on whatever helicopter flights might be available. The locals can bump you at any time. And the flights may or may not even show up.

If you are unprepared or unable to climb hike back out, you could end up waiting hours or even days.

Food in the village and at the lodge, prepared or not, may or may not be there. Expect to feed yourselves. If the cafe is open, consider it a bonus.

This is the Havasupai reservation, not a full service resort. Like other southwest Indian reservation destinations, they operate on their own time and with their own priorities. You are a guest and that is all. They owe you nothing.

Mentioned in this post
Havasupai Lodge
Havasupai Lodge
239 Reviews
Supai, AZ
Utah
Level Contributor
14 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Updated Information on Havasupai trip

Thanks so much. That had certainly been my sense--self-reliance as Emerson & Thoreau advocated--and this will certainly influence our packing.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,365 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Updated Information on Havasupai trip

For specifics about the helicopter service you can call and ask. They were very good with information when I called in preparation for my trip. 1-623-516-2790

Jerome, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Jerome
Level Contributor
236 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Updated Information on Havasupai trip

Trip report from Sept 2011 tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28924-i139-k48281…

Helicopter did not run everyday. There were 3 options for food, but I think the store is the only one open every day. Some of it is related to season.

5. Re: Updated Information on Havasupai trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:10