We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conditions and crime in Supai

California
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Topic
Conditions and crime in Supai

I have come across some articles online which have me wondering if Supai would be a safe and enjoyable destination. There were descriptions of trash and debris everywhere, graffiti tags, and a dangerous criminal element. Has anyone experienced these things in the village or at the falls ? I have reservations at the lodge for my Wife and I in June and would like to hear about some recent visits. Thank you.

Edited: 03 February 2012, 08:01
Mentioned in this post
Supai
Supai
Arizona
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,384 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conditions and crime in Supai

We took a hike down last May and stayed in the lodge. Tourists are encouraged to stay on the one main road. I say you see what you look for. I was looking at the beautiful valley, the unpaved roads, and simpler way of living and truly loved the village.

Is there crime? yes, but it rarely involves the tourists unless they are the ones bringing it in. I felt very safe

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,865 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conditions and crime in Supai

I haven't been there to give a recent report. Think of it as primitive. There is no regular trash removal. Unfortunately much of what is brought in is not carried back out. There is a cultural difference. When you receive permission to visit you must accept this.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
841 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conditions and crime in Supai

And, sadly, crimne is everywhere - or can hit you anywhere these days. I'd have said Arizona, as such, was a pretty safe place - I've never felt uneasy or even threatened anywhere I've been, and I've alo traveled and hiked out country alone. Just use common sense, don't let this put you off. Yes, it's sad about trash and littering, but unfortunately another fact of 'modern' life. Once you're outside the NPs or SPs, you'll find litter anywhere in the desert on walk, not only on the Rez. I also don't like the way road signs off the beaten track and so many saguaros are shot up, but there you are ... in any case, you'll love Supai, as the setting is overwhelming

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Supai
Supai
Arizona
4. Re: Conditions and crime in Supai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2013, 15:48