We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo hiker to havasu - is it a good idea?

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
99 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
solo hiker to havasu - is it a good idea?

Hi,

I always wanted to do hike to Havasu falls; but sometime there is no vacation left at job, sometime area is closed and sometime I did not get reservation...only one thing was constant - I never had anyone to acompany me.

So, my question is - Can i do havasupai hike as a solo hiker? I'm 29 and physically in shape for the distance...But i dont know safety point of view etc.

I want to spend 2-3 nights there, and want to hike all the way down to the river (in parts, of course).

Is it a good idea?

Grand Canyon Ultimate Tour
147 Reviews
from US$ 149.00*
Special Offer
Grand Canyon South Rim Bus Tour with...
1,627 Reviews
from US$ 109.99*
US$ 229.90
Special Offer
45-minute Helicopter Flight Over the...
598 Reviews
from US$ 276.99*
US$ 299.00
TUCSON
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: solo hiker to havasu - is it a good idea?

Well, that's a tricky question. I have hiked/biked alone but was still somewhat close to town. I would really think twice before doing that.

I would also assume that there is a sign in book (May want to call the Park Service) I would also assume that you could let rangers know you plan to do this and ask if there is a preferred way. Of course you know what assume means.

Good luck!

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
841 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solo hiker to havasu - is it a good idea?

I've done solo hikes as well into the wilderness. Make sure you let someone know where and when you're going (ranger if possible). Make sure you have enough food and water for what you're doing and take no unnec

essary risks.

Edited: 09 September 2011, 22:02
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,984 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: solo hiker to havasu - is it a good idea?

There are no Park Rangers patrolling Havasupai - it's outside the area of the GCNP, on Havasupai land, hours away from the main Village area of the South Rim. I have no idea if the Rangers would/could come rescue someone if that person needed rescuing, or if the Havasupai would take care of them. Maybe someone else knows more about the jurisdiction of the GCNP Rangers.

From what other people have reported, even if you are hiking in the GCNP, the Rangers don't "keep track" of solo hikers. The most you can do is give the Ranger station numbers to your friends/relatives back home, just in case you don't check in with them by a certain date. There's a thread from awhile back that discusses this; I'll try to find it...

Quote: "and want to hike all the way down to the river (in parts, of course)..."

I'm not sure what this means. Once you get to the campground that's past the village of Supai, you are right next to a river and Havasu Falls, with Mooney Falls another short hike away. If you're talking about hiking all the way down to the Colorado River from the Rim, that happens from either the South or North Rims, and does require reservations to stay below, as you're probably aware. But those Rims areas are a long ways away from the Supai village and Hualapai Hilltop.

Mentioned in this post
Havasupai Lodge
Havasupai Lodge
239 Reviews
Supai, AZ
Grand Canyon South Rim
Grand Canyon South Rim
20,767 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Supai
Supai
Arizona
Havasu Falls
Havasu Falls
470 Reviews
Supai, AZ
Mooney Falls
Mooney Falls
159 Reviews
Supai, AZ
Hualapai Hilltop
Hualapai Hilltop
27 Reviews
4. Re: solo hiker to havasu - is it a good idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 September 2011, 22:38
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,984 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: solo hiker to havasu - is it a good idea?

This is a quote from DetTigerFan, back in July:

"The BCO/rangers will not keep track of hikers. They do strongly recommend, however, that overnight hikers leave an itinerary with someone (family, friends, etc.) and they do give you a 24/7 emergency ranger contact number on your permit that you should leave with your friend/family."

However, be aware that this is only inside the GCNP. I'm still torn on whether or not it's ok for a solo hiker to go to Havasu Falls, but before we answer that part of it, I think we need to determine exactly what area of the Grand Canyon the OP thinks they want to explore, and when...

I have heard that there are now Supai rangers near the campground area (there weren't any when we were there years ago), but I have no idea how many rangers might be available at any given time.

Mentioned in this post
Havasu Falls
Havasu Falls
470 Reviews
Supai, AZ
Supai
Supai
Arizona
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,365 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: solo hiker to havasu - is it a good idea?

Hikers can go along Havasu Creek all the way to the Colorado river. This area actually is part of the national park. (Not sure where the boundary is, it might be just past Beaver Falls.)

I personally would not go much past Mooney alone. Up until then there are plenty of other people around and you aren't really alone.

Perhaps you could find another group there planning to hike that far and you could tag along.

Edited: 09 September 2011, 22:46
Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: solo hiker to havasu - is it a good idea?

Havasu is definitely not wilderness, and you won't be alone. As kbecjeans suggests, there is no reason not to do this, at least as far as Mooney Falls. Beyong that you would be alone, and that section would not be suitable for a solo hike.

You might also look into a guided/group trip. There are some commercial outfitters that do this, or check out the Grand CAnyon Field Institute offerings.

Mentioned in this post
Mooney Falls
Mooney Falls
159 Reviews
Supai, AZ
TUCSON
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: solo hiker to havasu - is it a good idea?

there is no reason not to do this

Sorry, but I feel this response is irresponsible. Reason NOT to do it. Injure yourself where no one is around. Have you heard of the movie 127 hours?

Really be taking you life in your own hands. I would NEVER hike the Grand Canyon alone simply because it is so vast!

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,984 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: solo hiker to havasu - is it a good idea?

I know you can get to the Colorado River from Havasu Creek, I'm just wondering if that's really what the OP is talking about doing. "Down to the river" to me implies hiking "down" from a Rim. That may not be what the OP meant, but that's just what it sounded like to me.

Sometimes people come to TA and ask questions, thinking that Supai is right within the boundaries of the GCNP. And then when they get responses that say things like, "the GC Park Rangers will help you/keep track of you!" it just further confuses things, IMHO.

If, in fact, the OP is talking about ONLY hiking down to Supai, staying in the campground, and visiting Mooney Falls, then sure - do it. If they are talking about hiking solo along Havasu Creek to the Colorado River, then I personally think that is a bad idea. I know people have hiked solo in the Grand Canyon for years, and if you stay along the corridor trails, you're fine. But hiking the backcountry/non-corridor trails solo is never a wise choice, IMHO, as evidenced by the hiker who died last week. Very sad, and very avoidable.

One last thing - as far as I'm aware, the area along Havasu Creek that leads to the CO River isn't open to overnight camping, so it would have to be done as a day trip, right? That's pretty strenuous in and of itself.

Mentioned in this post
Supai
Supai
Arizona
Mooney Falls
Mooney Falls
159 Reviews
Supai, AZ
Colorado River
Colorado River
41 Reviews
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,984 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: solo hiker to havasu - is it a good idea?

Just saw Post #8..

Discman - Enzian and kbecjeans are NOT talking about wandering around the Grand Canyon backcountry alone. They are referring to the hike to Supai Village and Havasu Falls, and camping in the very popular (read: lots of people, so you aren't alone) campground down there. Do you know what we are talking about, and have you been down there? The three of us have; we aren't just talking randomly here.

Caution is fine, but let's not get too dramatic...

Edited: 09 September 2011, 23:43
Mentioned in this post
Supai
Supai
Arizona
Havasu Falls
Havasu Falls
470 Reviews
Supai, AZ