We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in November

5 posts
Save Topic
Weather in November

Hi everyone! My daughter made reservation today for 26-28 November. That is weather could be there on this days? Is it possible for camping? For swimming?

She payed 129/pp, is it cost permit, camping and day tour to falls?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,432 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in November

It will be cold. It is winter at a higher elevation. Possible freezing temperatures at night. Snow is possible at that time of year. Definitely no swimming. The trip can be made but your daughter needs to be prepared for cold weather. It would have been wise to ask these questions beforehand. Reservations for Havasupai lands are not refundable if they were made through the tribe's tourist office.

theofficialhavasupaitribe.com/2017-Reservati…

Edited: 09 March 2017, 10:43
Mentioned in this post
Havasupai Lodge
Havasupai Lodge
239 Reviews
Supai, AZ
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in November

If your daughter booked through the tribe (and the cost looks about right for that), then there isn't a "day tour" to the falls. This trip is completely do it yourself with no "guided" or organized anything - tours to falls, etc... It is a backpacking trip with no assistance (ex. park rangers). The falls are on private land that is owned and controlled by the Supai (sic). This means the Supai have full discretion on who can enter, how she can enter, and enforcement of any laws they might have (or not have). This is NOT a national park and is an area that is (essentially) not controlled by the US. Your daughter should be prepared to hike 10 miles into a canyon (significant elevation change) to reach the falls and hike back out with a backpack carrying all necessary items for camping. The trailhead is remote. You should encourage her to read the "Top Questions" at the right so she can properly plan and enjoy the trip.

Edited: 09 March 2017, 19:28
Mentioned in this post
Supai
Supai
Arizona
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,246 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in November

Should the 5 day forecast & road conditions be adverse, She should have a plan "B" ... It might be best to have her sign on this site & get advice direct ... As some idea of her back country driving & hiking skill set ... will result in better advice ... Happy trails ... carracar

5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in November

We unterstood we did mistake, it will our first experience with camping...and cold weather:(

We made reservation by phone ...2121 etc, is it possible to exange on lodge? Or no chances?

Thanks for helping us

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in November

You will need to call them directly but I would guess your chances of getting something during pleasant weather aren't good. This has become an overly popular destination with many not realizing what it entails. If you have never camped or backpacked before you are wise to not make this your first experience. Are you still planning to come to the area? Would you like help with an alternative destination?

Edited: 10 March 2017, 00:58
Campbell River...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in November

I just made the same reservation for end of November, same price. It all happened so quick and I've been trying to reserve for so long and these were the only dates available that I didn't really think and just jumped on the opportunity. Ohwell even if we can't swim it will still be a fantastic experience.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,182 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in November

I would expect daytime temps in the mid-60's but cold at night, into the 30's, possibly freezing. Water temp is pretty constant year-round, around 70-degrees. I know of people who have gone swimming on a Thanksgiving weekend trip but with air temps in the 60's, most wouldn't consider it swimming weather.

Camping is certainly "possible" at any temperature. It's just a matter of having appropriate gear. Temperatures will be great for hiking.

Edited: 11 March 2017, 05:57
Palm Springs, CA
Level Contributor
546 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in November

I just did this last November, similar dates as yours. It WAS cold! But, there were definitely people camping. So it IS doable. This probably isn't the best choice for a first camping/hiking trip, but what's done is done and I think you're lucky to have gotten the spot!!! So, I would go if I were you but, definitely read up and take everyone's advice seriously. FWIW, I did my first backpacking trip down to phantom ranch in the GCNP. In hindsight, I should've chosen an easier first backpacking trip but, although I had some complications, it was WELL worth the experience.

So, here's what I recommend: if you don't have experience hiking start NOW. You have plenty of time to train. If you only have flat lands around, do 15 mile walks/runs to compensate for no up or downhill. Go to a high school and run the bleachers a LOT! When you can do the equivalent of 2-4 miles of that, start puttting on your pack and adding weights to it. Do LOTS of squats and lunges. If you have mountains around, start hiking now. I did a combination of all of these to prepare for GC. Mountain hiking, running bleachers, squats and lunges.

Get the hiking boots now and break them in. Eventually, will need a lightweight tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, backpackers meals and stove, snacks such as fruit, nuts, trail mix, granola bars, pretzels and lots of water. U can refill water once down though. Electrolyte tabs would be good too.

There is a little store and cafe but I've read you shouldn't rely on it being open and it's a little hike from the campground so plan for your own meals and if the cafe is open, then...even better!

As for swimming, the water technically stays about the same temp all year but when the air is cold, it makes it that much colder. I just went in to just above knee level for a quick photo op and got immediately out, my 16 and 11 year old sons went fully in but they were COLD!

Be prepared for really any weather as I read November can be variable.

The hike wasn't bad at all for me. There is only about 1-2 miles of steep, the rest is mostly flat. This was a breeze compared to GC, but if you're not a hiker, it will still be challenging. Start training now. Get those hiking boots broken in, and make sure you're prepared. You do all that, and you won't regret the experience.

Edited: 11 March 2017, 06:10
Palm Springs, CA
Level Contributor
546 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in November

Also, this cool video of the falls has been making its way around my fb these last couple of days and I've been flooded with inquires from friends about how to do this. Damn. I really wanted to go back in warmer weather to swim but I'm thinking the chances of that are even slimmer now than when I went. 😩

5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in November

Thanks for all advises. We with my daughter have a big experience hikes, including in mountains. But never in the camping. My worries only cold weather at night. so, we have time to prepare. Can someone recommend a sleeping bag for cold weather?