We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big house directly below the Chapel of the Holy Cross

MI
12 posts
Save Topic
Big house directly below the Chapel of the Holy Cross

Can anyone tell me if this is a private residence or have any info on the house. Visited the chapel today and couldn't believe the size of this place.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,752 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big house directly below the Chapel of the Holy Cross

It's a private residence. Most other residents and neighbors aren't too pleased about it.

It's a beautiful home, but it would be much nicer if it was somewhere else.

Kind of spoils the whole Chapel experience.

Edited: 27 May 2010, 05:06
MI
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Big house directly below the Chapel of the Holy Cross

Thanks, RedRox, I knew you would have the answer. I totally agree about spoiling the chapel experience. Seems every one was taking pictures of the house and commenting on it. Loved the chapel, though!! So beautiful.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big house directly below the Chapel of the Holy Cross

You mean this one: www.flickr.com/photos/wetbaloney/357151348/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big house directly below the Chapel of the Holy Cross

I was there just last week and saw the house you mentioned while we were visiting the Chapel of the Holy Cross. It is impressive alright, but I agree with RedRox that it does take a certain something away from the chapel experience. I found myself imaging how much more serene it would be if the house wasn't there! Still, we managed to enjoy our time there and were amazed at this architectural wonder. Being a Catholic I was particularly moved, although it is a place for all faiths or non-believers to get something out of. We also went back after dark to see the chapel all lit up---beautiful!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,752 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big house directly below the Chapel of the Holy Cross

I can see the Chapel from my home a short distance away. Fortunately, I cannot see the other house below it.. Now that spring is here and the trees are turning green and full, my view of the chapel is partially blocked by the greenery. But at night when it is lighted, I can see it clearly again.

I feel blessed to be living here every time I see that place.

MI
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Big house directly below the Chapel of the Holy Cross

CMac1029, your're absolutely correct. I am not Catholic but was very moved by the chapel. It was the highlight of our short trip to Sedona and I look forward to getting back there again soon. Thanks to everyone for the comments regarding the big house. It's distracting but still can't take away the beauty of the chapel.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big house directly below the Chapel of the Holy Cross

That is such a shame that the owner chose that location for his ridiculous house . I don't even think it's pretty and it looks so out of place in Sedona - let alone in sight of the chapel.

Arizona
Level Contributor
121 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big house directly below the Chapel of the Holy Cross

That house is ugly - no matter where it is.

RedRox: I think I'm jealous. It sounds like you have a beautiful view!

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big house directly below the Chapel of the Holy Cross

I agree. It is ugly, and it doesn't fit into the neighborhood, and especially not the Chapel.

KCK
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Big house directly below the Chapel of the Holy Cross

Just goes to show you that money does not equal good taste! That is one butt ugly house.