We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home next to the Chapel

blueahh
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Home next to the Chapel

When we visited the Chapel, we couldn't help but notice the mansion that is being built next to it. It looks like it will have it's own observatory.

Does anyone know anything about the house or who owns it?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
54,367 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Home next to the Chapel

Actually it's across the road, but it does get noticed. The construction has been on going for about 3 years now. The owner is in residence. I have heard from a reliable source that he has invested over $39 million in it so far. Needless to say that's an over improvement for the neighborhood. I live about three streets away and fortunately I don't have to drive by, or look at the place. I walk by it when I take walks up to the Chapel from my home.

Yes, it does have a planetarium and high powered telescope in the upper level. I understand it's one of his hobbies. It also has a very cool pool and covered, open air water feature and outdoor kitchen on the west wing. Currently, he's adding a Koi pond on the east side of the property. It will be magnificent, I'm sure. But I wonder if he'll be able to keep the fish from being consumed by all of the local wildlife. I'm sure he's considered that, and I know the pond contractor quite well, so I'm confident that he has a plan. But I'll be anxious to see how it turns out.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Home next to the Chapel

Not meaning to butt in here, but I had to laugh at the koi pond comment. We used to watch cranes gobble the koi out of our neighbor's small pond across the way - hey, if you're going to build a ready made buffet for local wildlife, expect it to get eaten! ;) And yes, our neighbor did finally quit stocking it.

Anyway, I don't know anything about the actual house in question, but I do have to say, $39 Million? Wow, that's ridiculous. But whatever floats your boat, I guess...

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Home next to the Chapel

We have seen the house last year from the outside and it's, huh, well, let's say large, huge and I also liked the comments on the pond. We don't have much wildlife here but my cats loved ponds with fish so did our local heron...

Tet

Witney, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Home next to the Chapel

Same problems all over the world - our next-door neighbour struggled for years to keep his pond stocked - he didn't give up - won infact, however the method left a lot to be desired - a large solid wooden frame of wire netting stretched over the pond's boundaries- not a good look for his expensive fish/pond.

As for the building in question - I think it's a shame that planning allowed such an extravagant build in such a revered area. If you have it, flaunt it, but not where it takes the eye and defers from the object of being in such a 'soothing' area. I am not in any way religious, but consider myself spiritual. Anyone with an ounce of this would never have stood at the side of the chapel with the plans in his/her hands and considered this build acceptable.

Karen

Pennsylvania’s...
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Home next to the Chapel

I am sure when the owner decided to build this extravagant mansion a few years back he wasn't concerned of the Chapel on the hill above him.

It seems now when we visit the Chapel we notice a lot more people talking about the mansion.

You can't miss seeing it from the hill above when visiting the chapel.

I agree with Karen that it is was an odd place to build it with the Chapel right there.

They just belong together.

If he Spent 40 million dollars and still counting,

curious to know why he did not build it away from the Chapel,up in the Hills about a mile away.

Tha is where it belonged ..not on Chapel Rd.

He is running out of land here so he can't expand anymore until he starts buying the other people out..

With $$$$ no object...

Pennsylvania’s...
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Home next to the Chapel

They just DON'T belong together (correction)

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Home next to the Chapel

You'd have to be blind to miss that mansion! Holy cow. At least the color of it blends in.

The neigborhood in that area looks very well off (lucky RedRox for living there!) but that mansion is way out of porportion.

I think that approval for such a building in that location was probably a case of $$$ "talking" and someone on some approval board "listening".

gainesville, florida
Level Contributor
96 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Home next to the Chapel

We saw it last week when we were there and heard that the guy who is building it was french man who invented the scalpel. What a house! Anyways, its gorgeous!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
54,367 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Home next to the Chapel

LOL! Rumors!

Not French. Nothing to do with scalpels. Suffice to say that he's no one that anybody has ever heard of, so you didn't miss a celebrity sighting.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Home next to the Chapel

Our pink jeep tour driver said it was built by one of the inventors of Lasik surgery, but that his wife didn't like it. I thought it was for sale when we were there in May. It's one of my most lasting memories of Sedona.