We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short trip at end of September

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Short trip at end of September
Save

Hi all! Im in the finishing stages of planning our Sedona trip but I have a few questions and I'm also looking for recommendations/advice. A few details….we arrive in Phoenix Tuesday Sept 28th at 12:50pm (leaving Saturday). We’re staying in West Sedona. We are early birds and like to get up and get going to get the most out of our days. We will be dining out for breakfast and dinner and will grab stuff for picnic lunches I don’t have a list of any “must do” hikes. I’d rather stay away from the masses but if there are any “you have to hike this” trails, I’m open to suggestions. Here is what I have so far…

Tuesday- once we get to Sedona, I’d like to do a short hike and get dinner somewhere that doesn’t require reservations. Recommendations for both?

Wednesday-up early for breakfast (recommendations welcome) then off to the Grand Canyon for the day. I’ve been before, my SO hasn’t. He really isn’t interested in sunrise/sunset (we experienced that at Canyonlands NP) and since it’s a short trip, we didn’t feel like an overnight stay was appropriate. We’re also used to driving distances for things based on where we live. For dinner, we have 8pm reservations at Elote. Any advice on this day is appreciated!

Thursday- up for breakfast (recommendations welcome), then either a hike or an early Pink Jeep tour. I have this day planned for Jerome and Cottonwood. I have a shop and restaurant/tasting room that is on my bucklist to visit. Dinner will be in Cottonwood. Any advice on this day is appreciated!

Friday- up for breakfast (recommendations welcome) and either hiking or early Pink Jeep tour then hiking. Friday is just a free day to do whatever we want. We have dinner reservations at The Hudson for 5:45pm. Any advice of this day is appreciated!

Saturday- our flight back home leaves Phoenix at 6pm. What should we do with our Saturday morning?

I’m trying to decide which day would be better for the Pink Jeep, Thursday or Friday based on above.

Also, I know weather is unpredictable but what is the weather like at the end of September/beginning of October?

Thanks for all of the advice!

1 reply
Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
77,811 posts
224 reviews
229 helpful votes
1. Re: Short trip at end of September
Save

Expect beautiful weather.

Take a walk around your neighborhood in West Sedona or head to Red Rock Crossing for sunset. You’ll do well to reach Sedona in daylight.

You’ll be tired after your Grand Canyon National Park day trip. I would choose Elote’ at the end of an easier day. Not sure why you’re basing in Sedona and planning to leave on two of your three full days?

Best breakfasts in West Sedona are at CoffeePot, the new Creperie at Rainbows End and Cafe Jose’.

I generally advise the Jeep tour soon upon arrival. Book it for whatever fits in your tight schedule. On Saturday, I’d leave before noon. If you get to PHX early, go to Desert Botanical Gardens or Heard Museum.

Reply to: Short trip at end of September
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.