We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newly Widowed * I need lots of Help and Answers !

Evansville, Indiana
1 post
Save Topic
Newly Widowed * I need lots of Help and Answers !

I want to travel to Sedona. Fly. I have been reading the forums. I was going to look for wellness resort, but then read so many wonderful posts, I’m thinking a cabin, B&B, etc. visit the area on my own. Sadly I will turn 65 during this time busting. I will be without the man I’ve shared the biggest part of my life with. I’m needing to grieve, ground and get my butt ready for what life has for my next adventure. Any and all help and I do mean ALL help is do appreciated and grateful- you see this will be my very first ever TRIP. Anywhere outside of maybe 100 mike drive. Thank you. I’m gonna do it! Birthday is August 15. Not much time ...

6 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,733 posts
6,411 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newly Widowed * I need lots of Help and Answers !

Sorry for your loss.

I would fly into Phoenix and rent a car to Sedona.

If budget allows, though, I would do some Pink Jeep Tours to have them show you Sedona. They do a very nice job.

https:/…sedona-tours

Personally my favorite place to stay is the Best Western simply because the views from the plaza deck area is superb. Gorgeous views. Lots of great places to sit. Coffee/tea nearby. Breakfast included in morning.

The views are what "makes me love this place" although there are nicer resorts, etc. We had a very nice room though...(went later in the year so the fireplace was very nice. Our room had a soaking tub.)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g31…

The staff there is very nice. You can explore on your own. Pink Jeep tours will pick you if you arrange tours ith them.

Sorry for your loss and best to transitioning.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,199 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newly Widowed * I need lots of Help and Answers !

Have you searched for lodging? At this late date your options will be limited.

Book lodging and then give us your dates and location. Then we can help you fill in the blanks.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newly Widowed * I need lots of Help and Answers !

Hi Debbie and my condolences to you in the loss of your husband.

Sedona is beautiful and since it is summer you will probably still be able to find some lodging. It is still pretty hot in AZ so rates and availability are more in your favor. Keep in mind you will find temps higher than you have in Indiana. Mini made a good suggestion, the BW is right in the center of uptown, with plenty of shops and dining and also lovely views of the red rocks from your room. Also, there are cabins and bed/breakfasts along OakCreek Canyon that are more secluded. How long will you be staying? That will help the local experts with some suggestions, and if you tell them where you end up staying as RedRox says.

One place I would suggest is the Chapel of the Holy Cross, very peaceful and respectful.

And for some retail therapy, look at the charming Tlaquepaque.

Red Rock Crossing as well, and you can stroll along the creek there.

and Happy Birthday too!

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
10,939 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newly Widowed * I need lots of Help and Answers !

Oh Debbie, my heart aches for you. This is a very difficult time for you but your attitude to venture out is admirable and healthy.

You are thinking of coming here soon...Its extremely hot here now for some people to enjoy the hikes except for the early morning hours. I would definitely choose a cute B&B over a chain hotel. Or splurge for a wonderful upscale resort with a nice spa area. Enchantment is about as good as it gets...its out among the red rocks away from the hustle of touristy Uptown. Another choice...down near the Village of Oak Creek...maybe the Bell Rock Hilton Resort and Eforea Spa. Even if you don't stay at the Hilton, you can use their spa.

I agree with RedRox...choose your hotel or B&B. Choose a place that looks like a little sanctuary to return to if you need to. Tell us where it is and we can fill in more details according to more info on your particular tastes. Do fly to Phoenix and rent a car for the great freedom it gives you to go where and when you want.

Instead of your birthday you could schedule to visit at a later date when its really really nice in Sedona. Much cooler etc. October for example gives you more time to get the rooms you want and gives you a much more comfortable visit. If you do choose that, you still need to make reservations soon because its busy when its cooler and has some Fall color too.

You may also want to reconsider location if you truly want to make this first trip very soon. Maybe choose places further north where its cooler? Someplace like the Pacific NW near Olympic Park, Victoria Island or the Oregon Coast. Someplace cooler and still to the west of the smoke and fires burning out here right now. Smoke pollution is a problem right now in many places. The main problem really...right now soon, is getting lodging and flights set.

Let me know if you have more questions...I really want to help and we travel extensively but not really by choice down to Sedona/Arizona in the Summer if we can help it. There are a lot of great choices in the Fall though.

Edited: 09 August 2018, 00:30
Level Contributor
38,851 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newly Widowed * I need lots of Help and Answers !

So very sorry for your loss. Sedona is a beautiful place to relax and reflect. We stayed at The Amara Resort & Spa and really enjoyed our time there. The concierge and entire staff were very friendly and welcoming. I hope you enjoy your trip. 🌵

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newly Widowed * I need lots of Help and Answers !

Oh, Debbie,

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is very courageous to make this trip on your own.

As someone mentioned it is hot here now (around 104 or so) and we have monsoons (usually in the pm), but they can actually be interesting to watch if you really want to be here for your birthday.

I would recommend staying in a small B and B rather than a hotel, so you will have someone who can make suggestions of things to do and places to go. I don't know what your budget is (or whether you have already found a place). B and Bs have a large price range, and it looks like many of them have top ratings. Look at the reviews and see what sounds good to you.

How will you get here?

Reply to: Newly Widowed * I need lots of Help and Answers !
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted