We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA to DC road trip- first stop Sedona or Blythe?

felizkate
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
LA to DC road trip- first stop Sedona or Blythe?

Hello- I am planning a road trip with my daughter to DC in a week. We are not sure about the first stretch- I have been to Sedona and would love to show my daughter, but is it too far off the main route to Santa Fe (our next stop)? Does any have advice? We also considered leaving the night before, spending the night in a motel in Blythe so we can get to Sedona early and enjoy a half day before getting on the road again. Otherwise, we skip Sedona and spend the night in Flagstaff. Any suggestions are welcome. This is my first road trip and want to get off to a good start. FYI_ need to avoid fires, my daughter is quite asthmatic. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
2 replies to this topic
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,484 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA to DC road trip- first stop Sedona or Blythe?

There could be a few routes to Santa Fe from LA. If you want to go to Sedona, I-15 to I-40 is best, and it will be about an hour south of Flagstaff and I-40. At least an overnight there is preferable. You would also pass within an hour of Grand Canyon NP.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,287 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA to DC road trip- first stop Sedona or Blythe?

With a very early start to avoid the AM commute ... One can drive the 1-40 89a to Sedona, in a reasonable day ... Blythe, is on the I-10 & to be avoided ...Happy trails ... carrcar

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Reply to: LA to DC road trip- first stop Sedona or Blythe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted