We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Itineray

Pittsfield...
Level Contributor
96 posts
Our Itineray

Reading this forum has given me a wealth of information

Any thoughts are welcome

Sept 22-Oct 2nd

Fly into Phoenix Sept 22, 2pm, rent a car and head to Anthem, overnight at Hampton inn.

Stock up on supplies early and head to the GC, Bright Angel; reserved for one night.

Head to Page, stopping at Cameron Trading Post: Stayimg at a BnB, Grandview Inn, 2 nights.

7 am Float next morning and Antelope canyon 11am the following day.

At some point Horseshoe Bend

We had booked 3 nights but switched to an extra night in Sedona

After Antelope head to Sedona staying at the SkyRanch Lodge for 5 nights

So far we are planning the usual sites, easy hiking.

Cottonwood for a day and check out the wine trail

Pink Jeep would not work for us because of neck/ back with issues.

We are in Mass and this trip is on my husbands bucket list and also during his 76th birthday

He is about 15 years younger than his real age: I want this trip to rock for him.

Thanks ahead,,

9 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Our Itineray

Looks like a great plan. My only suggestion would be to stay overnight in Flagstaff the day you get in. You have more than enough time and, it will be much cooler and much more scenic than Anthem. Plus, you are two hours closer to the Grand Canyon.We love staying at Little America and having dinner at Black Bart's Steakhouse.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,372 posts
250 reviews
2. Re: Our Itineray

Excellent allocation of time. I’ll agree that you could probably make Flagstaff in daylight and that would give you more time at Grand Canyon National Park the next day.

Add Jerome to your Cottonwood day.

Pittsfield...
Level Contributor
96 posts
3. Re: Our Itineray

Thank you 😊

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
11,265 posts
817 reviews
4. Re: Our Itineray

Not to worry, this trip will rock for hubby!

I too agree with Flagstaff for the first night considering your flight arrival time. Its a neat college town anyway and has some great grocery stores. It has both Natural Grocers and Whole Foods plus Frye's, and Sprouts. You might even have time to visit the Musuem of Northern Arizona in the morning before heading up to GC. Its one of the best for Native American culture in the entire SW. https://musnaz.org

You could even stop at Montezuma's Castle on the way up. Your National Parks Senior Pass is going to work for Grand Canyon, all the nearby National Monuments, Nat. Forest Service areas as well as for a parking pass in Sedona. Its not good for State Parks or Red Rock Crossing which is a must...but is nicely privately operated and costs $10. If you have one, you can use it for life with no extra cost, and is good for over 2,000 parks,monuments and forest service areas in every state of the Union.

In case you did not know, there are two Antelope Canyons in Page. The Lower Canyon has a ton of stairs heading both down into and coming back out of it...plus narrow passages to navigate. The Upper Canyon is still very beautiful but there are no stairs or other surprises like that. Upper is an easier visit for those with orthopedic issues.

Its easy to combine Cottonwood, Toozigoot Nat. Monument and Jerome.

The wine trail can be combined with Cottonwood and sunset at Red Rock Crossing.

Pink Jeep now runs an on-pavement tour for those of us who cannot handle the off-road tours because of Back/knee issues. Or you can take the on-pavement Magic Red Trolley Tour. Those tours are nice at the beginning of your visit to learn a little more about the area. But, you can also, with 5 nights in Sedona drive everywhere you want on your own without the time constraints and extra $$ they cost.

There are nice on-line maps on this site. With quadrants where you will be hiking...for example the Bell Rock Area, The Oak Creek Canyon Area, the Dry Creek/Boynton Canyon area, the Airport Mesa and Red Rock Crossing areas. Within each quadrant map there are clickable maps for the many named trails in the area. Its a great resource.

sedonaredrocktrails.org/SedonaTrailMaps.html

www.greatsedonahikes.com/easyhikes.html

Trail maps with excellent photos: https:/…

Need suggestions for that special birthday dinner? Type of food and budget will help us narrow it down. Sedona is also a dining destination on its own merits.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 07:25
Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Our Itineray

I just want to second what Mary Rllen states about “on pavement” Pink Jeep tours.

My husband & I just returned from Sedona a few weeks ago & we took “The Scenic Sedona” Pink Jeep Tour the morning following our arrival. This tour (2.5-3 hours) gave us a wonderful overview of Sedona, chock full of suggestions on what to see & do, where to dine etc. all while getting a lay of the land. The tour stayed on pavement & was a perfect way to start out in Sedona!

Pittsfield...
Level Contributor
96 posts
6. Re: Our Itineray

Excellent suggestions

Thank you all

Pittsfield...
Level Contributor
96 posts
7. Re: Our Itineray

One question

With the senior pass do you need just one for your vehicle or one for each person?

😊

Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
8. Re: Our Itineray

One for the vehicle. Best deal ever!

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
11,265 posts
817 reviews