We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me choose between The Boulders and The Sanctuary

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Help me choose between The Boulders and The Sanctuary

We live in the SF Bay Area and often go to Hawaii and Santa Fe.

We want to spend 4 nights / 5 days in the Phoenix area celebrating our 25th anniversary at the end of next month.

I'm having an impossible time deciding between The Boulders --southwest feel; old classic; larger resort, and The Sanctuary --cool modern architecture, large rooms, quiet....

Both seem to get good reviews. Both seem to have good spas.

We plan to visit Cosanti and Sedona; maybe one day tour to the Grand Canyon....lots of pool and spa time.

Any thing you can think of to help me decide?

thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
11. Re: Help me choose between The Boulders and The Sanctuary

It's funny you gave me that input because I woke up thinking pretty much the same thing. I want to go to the Heard Museum, ArCosanti AND relax and soak up the sun.

We are pretty sure this will just be the first of many trips to AZ.

I do have one question about location: Is The Boulders in a remote area so the feeling is more "away from everything" compared to The Sanctuary?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,139 posts
249 reviews
12. Re: Help me choose between The Boulders and The Sanctuary

Yes, The Boulders is farther north and in the Carefree/Cave Creek area. You'll feel more like you're out in the country even though there has been much increased development there in the past decade. The local shops and dining options are fun and quirky while still remaining upscale if you prefer that standard.

You'll be a little over an hour from Arcosanti, so that would be a half day excursion at a minimum. There's very little to see or do between those places, other than exploring the AZ open range.

If spa treatments and pool relaxation time is your priority, then stick to one of the valley resort choices that you're contemplating. The touring options that you mentioned in your OP will require more time and would make sense from a different base.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
13. Re: Help me choose between The Boulders and The Sanctuary

R&R won out! We're going to stay at the Boulders. They have a pretty good deal right now with the 4th night free and 40% off the second persons's spa treatments.

We'll just have to come back soon to see more! I hope to get to the Heard, the Desert Botanical gardens and maybe a side trip to Sedona.

Thanks for all your input--it helped me decide among too many good things. Reminds me of people coming here to SF and wanting to see everything from Big Sur to Pt Reyes (near me) to wine country and get lot of SF in, too.

14. Re: Help me choose between The Boulders and The Sanctuary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2010, 18:46
Get answers to your questions about Scottsdale
Recent Conversations