We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo spa vacation

Delaware
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
solo spa vacation

Interested in going on a solo spa vacation in early Sept. Debating between Palm Springs and Scottsdale, AZ. Any thoughts/suggestions? Places to stay??

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,907 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solo spa vacation

Both places are popular spa destinations. And both will be warm in September, but that also means you can probably get some deals. Rather than pick a city, do some research on the spas. Consider your budget, desired services and additional plans, wants and needs. Both cities offer plenty of options for outside social activities and nightlife, etc. but the spa itself is probably the best place to start.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solo spa vacation

I would recommend JW Marriott Camelback Inn or The Phoenician. Both have wonderful spas. Camelback Inn is more southwest in atmosphere and has been a part of Scottsdale history for many years. The Phoencian is newer (80's) and more classically upscale, and larger. It's restaurants are all good - several to choose from on the property. Either one is a short distance to Old Town Scottsdale for nice shopping and more dining options.

Another good one is Fairmont Princess. Willow Stream is a fantastic spa. Just be sure to get one of the updated rooms (I think the renovation is complete, but don't remember for sure.) It is located further north and will be near Kierland Commons shopping area.

Good luck with your decision.

Mentioned in this post
JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Scottsdale...
2,178 Reviews
Paradise Valley, AZ
Old Town Scottsdale
Old Town Scottsdale
4,640 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
Fairmont Scottsdale...
3,788 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Kierland Commons
Kierland Commons
208 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Temecula, California
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
544 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: solo spa vacation

I agree with both Redrox and Aztchr....

Check into all of the spas themselves, as this seems to be your focus, then go there. Aztchr's suggestions in Scottsdale are excellent.

A few additional suggestions:

1.Check out Sanctuary, they actually have Spa Casitas which are amazing. Sanctuary is one of those places that is a unique resort that I don't usually suggest, but your trip is exactly when I would. It is a very private oasis.

2. Mi Amo in Sedona. is actually a destination spa and is rated #1 Spa resort by Travel & Leisure. For your trip this would be perfect.

Check these out, for a spa trip they are top of the list. But again, the other suggestions are the best in Scottsdale proper.

One last note..I live in SoCal, honeymooned in Palm Springs, and vacation every year in Scottsdale.

Both are similar settings, but Scottsdale is much more of a city and PS is more desert community. And as far as spas go there are probably 8 to 10 in Scottsdale that are heads and shoulders above anything in PS. I love PS dearly and could suggest some very cool places to stay that are classic mid-century resorts. But as far a spa stay, I would definately say Scottsdale.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: solo spa vacation

Ditto aztchr. Camelback Spa or Willow Stream, with maybe a slight edge to Camelback for location.

Mentioned in this post
Scottsdale Camelback Resort
Scottsdale Camelback...
1,049 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Gavle, Sweden
Level Contributor
645 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: solo spa vacation

Hi shan79;

Don't know if you are all set by now, but ...

If I had to choose just between the two places, I have to admit I prefer Palm Springs.

But when it comes to SPA, I had my best spa experience ever at the JW Marriott Camelback Inn in Scottsdale! Found both the resort and the spa gorgeous.

/sun

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Scottsdale...
2,178 Reviews
Paradise Valley, AZ
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
6. Re: solo spa vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2010, 10:54