We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Routes to and from Grand Canyon

Phila Pa
Level Contributor
126 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Routes to and from Grand Canyon

Going to the GC from Scottsdale. Sounds like there

are different ways to get there and back. I understand it's about a 4 hour drive. If we are driving 4 hours each way, we would like to catch some different sites along the way and have some decent places to stop along the way too. Any advise on which are the best routes, or any unique places to stop along the way?

Mentioned in this post
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Routes to and from Grand Canyon

Great minds, RedRox:-)

Phila Pa
Level Contributor
126 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Routes to and from Grand Canyon

Great advise as usual. I'm a planner and getting these tips and directions really helps me feel informed. Thanks again!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Routes to and from Grand Canyon

I know what you mean. You should see the binders I put together for trips. Waaaayyy too organized for my own good!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,775 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Routes to and from Grand Canyon

My upcoming 9 day trip is down to a 10 page file folder. I'm packing light...

australia
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Routes to and from Grand Canyon

Hi

I will be in Arizone in September - first time and from Australia (and never driven a car in the US or overseas - we drive on the other side of the road).

I need some tips please:

I have family to visit in Scottsdale but can only spare 1 night there.

Am thinking of LAs Vegas, driving to Grand Canyon (or just do a tour from Vegas?) and then drive to Scottsdale. How far is Vegas from Scottsdale (in hours, if driving please)?

Am I kidding myself. If South Rim is about 5.5hrs from Vegas, I'm left with a few hours at the Park, and then have to drive down to Scottsdale. How long will it take to get from the South Rim to Scottsdale? I have no idea and don't really want to over do it. As we are thinking of leaving Scottsdale the following evening to fly to New York...

Mentioned in this post
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,431 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Routes to and from Grand Canyon

It's always better to create your own post rather than add one to someone else's post.

Save the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas for a future trip. Las Vegas to GCNP is 5 hours, then GCNP to Scottsdale is 4 hours. You just fly to Phoenix and go to Scottsdale.

Mentioned in this post
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Phila, PA
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: Routes to and from Grand Canyon

Jmmm,

I'm planning to do this same trip, but over 2 days. I assume the route will be the same that was detailed, but can you tell me how you'd do it (with stops, etc) over 2 days? Many thanks!

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,762 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Routes to and from Grand Canyon

Northbound, the best stop is in Sedona, (for lunch or breakfast, depending on your time of departure from Scottsdale), then take route north out (89A) of uptown through Oak Creek Canyon (stop at the overlook for the view) until it drops you onto I-17 again. Other possible stops along I-17 northbound would include Montezuma's Castle for ancient Native American cave dwellings/ruins, Flagstaff Historic District (Macy's coffee cafe or Beaver St. Brewery), Lowell Observatory, Riordan Mansion, NAU, all in Flagstaff. Williams is a quaint small town off I-40, with JD's Espresso cafe (best donuts in Northern AZ), antique stores and Route 66 memorabilia. North of Flag on 89 is Sunset Crater NP and Wupatki Natl monument.

Just make sure you save plenty of time for the GC. Book your overnight in the park or in Tusayan as soon as you can, they fill up fast.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
Oak Creek Canyon
Oak Creek Canyon
2,932 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Lowell Observatory
Lowell Observatory
1,597 Reviews
Flagstaff, AZ
Williams
Williams
Arizona
Tusayan
Tusayan
Arizona
19. Re: Routes to and from Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2010, 12:46