We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona vs Prescott

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona vs Prescott

Hi Everyone,

We'll be visiting AZ in mid April. I have never been. We are meeting my sister and brother in law from Austin TX. My brother in law says that Sedona is over rated and that maybe we should go to Prescott instead. He says it's like our Nantucket or Newport RI , very pricey, tourist trap, etc. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona vs Prescott

Sedona = Nantucket? Not sure about that one.

Sedona does have tacky tourist stuff and may be a little overpriced, but you don't want to miss it because it's one of the most beautiful places in the state. If someone said "The best place on earth" then, yes, that would be overrating it. Otherwise, it's difficult to emphasize how amazing the place is. But, I think you need to get out of the town a little. Go to Slide Rock or Red Rock (or maybe both!) State Park, take a Pink Jeep tour, tramp around the creek in the canyon, and then you'll get a sense of Sedona.

Prescott is a nice town, and it would be worth a visit (they're fairly close to each other), but it doesn't compare to Sedona. And, ironically, a lot of Prescott's architecture actually makes it look very East Coast (called Arizona's most "Midwestern" looking town) compared to Sedona's more traditional Southwestern look.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,715 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona vs Prescott

I have to agree with Colin. I suspect your friend who didn't appreciate Sedona probably never got out to enjoy it. The Uptown area where a lot of tourists stay and where a lot of tourist oriented businesses are based is, on the surface, kind of tacky. But that's not what Sedona is about.

Sedona is about the outdoors and the Nat'l Forest and hiking and exploring and the incredible scenery, coupled with a relatively short but diverse history. There's plenty to be found here, and not to knock Prescott, (which has plenty of history and charm as well) but I would say you MUST see Sedona!

3. Re: Sedona vs Prescott

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2007, 18:58
Prescott, AZ
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona vs Prescott

The only good thing about Sedona is the magnificent scenery, and you don't have to stay there to see it.

the town has no charm, is very croeded, full of tour buses and time shares, and the lodging is VERY expensive or very bad.

Prescott has charm, a wonderful town center full of history, great restaurants and lots of activites - just 1 1/2 hours away

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona vs Prescott

Sedona focuses a lot on outdoor activity if you take advantage of all the nature trails. There is fishing and a lot of mtn biking and off roading. You can do a jeep tour which is a way to go for first timers www.pinkjeep.com While the uptown is touristy and very expensive there is Talaquepaque which is full of shops and is an awesome place in itself. Its set up like a replica of a spanish villa.

There is really no compairison to Prescott and Sedona. Each has different scenery types. Prescott is more in the Pines and has a nice 1800's feel and some neet little shops. Unlike Sedona, unless you know where to go in Prescott its hard to find places to hike with the scenery of Sedona. That is why I don't hike in Prescott. To say Sedona is touristy and tacky is true if you stay in the toristy and tacky spots you have to get out and experience Sedona. Not just do a drive by. Get out to Bell Rock and do some hiking and go up airport rd and watch the sunset. Go catch your dinner at the local trout farm or catch your own in beautiful stream. Its all what you make of it. Its like compairing apples to oranges LOL pardon the pun.

www.visitsedona.com

Phoenix
Level Contributor
660 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedona vs Prescott

It is a pricey touristy place but I love it all the same.

The scenery is incredible.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sedona vs Prescott

If you've never been to Arizona before, you must go to the Grand Canyon. That's the place not to miss!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sedona vs Prescott

I would stay in Prescott and do a day trip to Sedona. Flagstaff is also worth the trip. It's a college town with plenty of funky places to eat and also great hiking/mountain biking. It's a bit of an artsy hippy town.

Sedona is so beautiful, please don't miss it just because of a few "cheesy" gift shops. The visitor's center downtown is very helpful and should be your first stop. They will supply you with maps and info to do the type of visit you are looking for (length of hikes, intensity, etc...) It's not overrated at all. Go to www.visitsedona.com

We like to sit outside on the patio and have margaritas at El Rincon at the Tlaquepaque Arts and Crafts Village in Sedona. Awesome!

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sedona vs Prescott

OK - I have been to Nantucket several times and it is not at all like Sedona. Would agree that Sedona can be pricey and has a lot of tourists, but there the comparison ends. You can find a lot of reasonable places to stay and eat in Sedona and you can find very expensive ones. If you like upscale shopping they have it. They also have a lot of tourist souvineers, but you can't compare the desert to an island in the ocean. Nantucket is beautiful but everything is pricey. Nothing budget to be found. I would not have gone there if it was not paid for by my company.

Sedona is mainly based on the beautiful red rocks and the scenery. If you like hiking you will be in heaven. Take a jeep ride and have a blast.

You didn't say where you were coming from, but if you are arriving in Phoenix and driving, you can stop in Prescott on the way to or from Sedona. Prescott is a lovely town with a beautiful courthouse and town square. We have gone there for several craft festivals and enjoy some of the restaurants. We also like to ride thru the Granite Dells, but I'm not familiar with much else to do. Maybe others can help.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sedona vs Prescott

I would suggest that on your first visit to Sedona, you won't even notice what your brother in law talks about (and don't let him) because your eyes will always be gripped by the natural features above. They'll take your breath away. The Grand Canyon is orders of magnitude more breathtaking, but Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon are second only to the Grand Canyon, in my opinion. If you find the hotels too precious there, you don't have to stay overnight. But there is a lot to recommend it to see the rocks and cliffs in different lights.

Get answers to your questions about Prescott