We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best drive from the Sacramento area to Prescott?

Isleton, California
1 post
What's the best drive from the Sacramento area to Prescott?

Considering driving rather than flying in November, and would like to avoid the LA basin if possible? I'd appreciate any suggestions - even if it's to use a different mode of transportation. My car's only a couple of years old and gets about 35-40 mpg on highways, and time isn't critical. If I need to take an overnight break, I'm good with that. Many thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,470 posts
86 reviews
1. Re: What's the best drive from the Sacramento area to Prescott?

Consider driving the US 50 to the 89 South in Utah, to Flagstaff ... At least 3 choices there for the final drive to Prescott ...Or AMTRAK /bus to Barstow, Train again to Flagstaff 7 rent a cat for the Prescott drive ... Happy t(rail)s .... carracar

Edited: 11 September 2018, 08:46
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,470 posts
86 reviews
2. Re: What's the best drive from the Sacramento area to Prescott?

The "cat" would be optional ... Should the rental agency have one available ... carracar

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,746 posts
90 reviews
3. Re: What's the best drive from the Sacramento area to Prescott?

If driving, look for a route to Bakersfield using I-5 or CA99, then 395 to I-40 to Hwy 89 at Ash Fork AZ and south to Prescott.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,470 posts
86 reviews
4. Re: What's the best drive from the Sacramento area to Prescott?

At #3. The drive can be shortened ... Turning on the 58 East, through Mojave & remaining on the 58 direct,to the I-40 at Barstow ... happy trails ... carracar

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,262 posts
106 reviews
5. Re: What's the best drive from the Sacramento area to Prescott?

Eh, November... Later you get into November, the more chance of snow. Going south through the Central Valley is very dull, especially on I-5, but using that to reach 58 and go to Barstow typically avoids snow. However, if it isn't snowing, US 50 to CA 89 to US 395 is a really nice drive and generally very quick. From there, you can either cut over on CA 120 to US 6 to US 95 to go through Las Vegas to reach I-40, or you could cut through Death Valley and into Pahrump, or just stay on 395 to CA 58.

I usually take an overnight break on the way down but, coming from the coast and further south, I'm mostly routed through Bakersfield, where you tend to get a lot for your money in terms of hotels. If you end up going through Vegas though, I would just stay the night there, maybe in Henderson to make it easier to get out in the morning.

Reply to: What's the best drive from the Sacramento area to Prescott?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Prescott