We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advise from the locals..when to visit with arthritis?

The Villages...
Level Contributor
26 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Need advise from the locals..when to visit with arthritis?

My husband and I were thinking of coming to the Phoenix area for about a month and give it a try. We may locate if this works.

I have arthritis in my lower back,right hip, and now I'm having problems with my knee. I have had a synvisc injection and it has helped quite a bit. We now live in the greater Cleveland area, snow rain all the fun stuff. I was wondering if January is a good time to visit, or should we come at another time? We thought a month would be a good gage to see how I react to the change of weather. Looking for good advise from the locals.

Thanks,

Deb White

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,613 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advise from the locals..when to visit with arthritis?

January is a nice time to visit. However,If you are thinking about a permanent relocation,you should see Phoenix in January and July.

I have a place near Palm Springs. Same thing there. You need to see it at its best and worst.

Edited: 23 April 2012, 01:50
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
53,437 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advise from the locals..when to visit with arthritis?

We made 7 trips from FL before relocating to AZ, all at different times of the year. It is essential to realize the variety of seasons and potential extremes of the climate.

The Villages...
Level Contributor
26 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advise from the locals..when to visit with arthritis?

Would there be a better month to visit. I know there are ups and downs, just trying to figure which month would show a difference to my body. Just want to make sure arizona would dry my joints outNd find agood month to do it. Thanks for your speedy reply!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
53,437 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advise from the locals..when to visit with arthritis?

It will be arid all year round, especially compared to Cleveland. Winter is when the whole world wants to be in AZ for the relatively mild weather. In summer, those who can flee the extreme heat in PHX, do.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
744 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advise from the locals..when to visit with arthritis?

One month alone would not give you a good idea. As mentioned above, it's always dry, more or less, as far as low humidity goes. Summer temps are easily well in excess of 100° during the day, but on account of the very low humidity it's bearable. Winter gives you pleasantly warm days and chilly nights ... nothing that compares to your area. January is a good month for sure to get away from your area - it might rain once or twice in Phoenix then as well, but not like what you're used to. If you can, you should then visit again during July or August to see if you want that. I never thuink it's 'terrible', but people who've nor grown up around here often feel it's too much. I felt tropical and subtropical areas with their high hunmidity where hard to bear albeit temps were only in the mid-80s.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advise from the locals..when to visit with arthritis?

You may also want to check areas outside of Phoenix that are a little higher in elevation. Still dry, but not as extreme in the temperature ranges. Prescott and Sedona are good options to look at.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,743 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advise from the locals..when to visit with arthritis?

Our daughters in-laws always wanted to retire in AZ. They were avid hikers and spent much time all over AZ. They finally rented an apartment in Tempe for 3 months in the summer to see if they could stand the heat. They did and feeling they really knew what they were in for moved there permanently. While he passed unexpectedly, she is still there thriving and loving it.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advise from the locals..when to visit with arthritis?

It is not "dry" heat the year round down here. We get moist air from the south - we call it our "monsoon" season. Humidity rises. The season is roughly July and August. For me, the bad part is that it does not cool down at night. We may have highs of 105-110 and lows around 95. You might consider coming out in late July and early August. If you can take the heat and humidity then and it doesn't bother your arthritis, the rest of the year will be a breeze. Temperatures in June are generally the hottest, we get scorchers then. However, it is dry and nights generally cool off nicely.

9. Re: Need advise from the locals..when to visit with arthritis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 02:11