We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring training

Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Spring training

What’s the best place to stay close to spring training stadiums?

16 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring training

Which stadium? There are multiple spring training stadiums spread all across Metro Phoenix.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,819 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring training

With 10 Spring training stadiums it's difficult to get one that's close to all of them or is considered a "best spot".

My go to place is the Thunderbird Executive Inn which is located in the suburb of Glendale.

Here's why I like it:

The hotel is part of the Thunderbird School of Global Management and is not on the main radar of folks looking for hotels. It's relatively inexpensive...even during the spring training period when prices seem to get inflated around the region.

The place is simple yet very clean. The amenities are straightforward. Free breakfast (continental style breakfast, cereals, juices, muffins, do it yourself) is available. The staff is very nice.

The hotel is extremely quiet. Even when school is in session it appears to be a ghost town. There is a nice pub and restaurant area with pretty good food that's maybe a 5-10 minute walk away.

A 15 minute drive circle drawn around the hotel encompasses maybe 7 stadiums making it a good location.

Here's their website.... thunderbirdexecutiveinn.com/default-en.html

Dr. Z

Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring training

Dr.Z

Thanks so much for all that good information re: spring training locations in Phoenix. I checked the Thunderbird and they’re totally booked for March! But now I know to focus on the Glendale area for places to stay.

Thanks again,

PVB Sue

DeForest, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring training

Hi Sue, do you have a particular team that you follow? Are there any activities or attractions you would to do before/after games? I travel down annually, have family in the area, and can definitely provide some insight.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,819 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring training

Wow. I’m surprised they are already booked out, no doubt with families looking for a great spring training season in AZ!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
984 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring training

I wouldn't recommend Glendale as a location unless one of the teams that are (per above post anyway) within a fifteen minute drive are the ones you want to follow. One could make a case that those teams are not all that exciting.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
984 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring training

Now that I have re-read the above post I see that it says that 7 STADIUMS are within 15 minutes of Thunderbird Executive Inn. That is just not true. Consulting Google Maps, the ONLY stadium within a 15 minute drive is Peoria Sports Complex (Mariners, Padres). Most are over in the 30-45 minute range. You can add more time to the return trip as it gets into the beginning of rush hour.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
11,671 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring training

He must have meant a 15 mile circle drawn around the hotel, but even then it doesn't make sense.

I wouldn't advise a visitor to stay in Glendale unless they wanted to visit something located there. It's a bedroom community with little to offer.

Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring training

So where would be a good place to stay to see the Cubs during Spring training?

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
984 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring training

The Cubs play their home games in Mesa, not far from Scottsdale and Tempe. Mesa itself is uninteresting, Scottsdale is the most popular place to stay for Cactus League visitors, although more expensive than other places. The Giants, Rockies and Diamondbacks are in Scottsdale, the Athletics are in Mesa and the Angels are in Tempe. It is wise to be looking for lodging now, things get booked up pretty quickly.

Reply to: Spring training
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted