We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An afternoon/evening in Phoenix

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
An afternoon/evening in Phoenix

Hello all! My husband and I will be in Phoenix in early September for one afternoon at the beginning of a trip through some of the smaller national parks of AZ, NM, and TX (it was cheaper to fly into Phoenix vs Tuscon, which is where our itinerary starts.) I am researching things to do in/around Phoenix before we head to Tucson the following day. We are hikers and would like to take a short hike if the weather isn't too terribly hot, and are also looking for brewery recommendations for dinner. Thanks so much for your input!

6 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,681 posts
6,408 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An afternoon/evening in Phoenix

I would suggest going to Scottsdale area and doing Tom's Thumb Trail

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

for a short hike

If its a nice (not too hot of a day) you can then go explore the McDowell Sonoran Preserve

https:/…

you might want to head to old town area of Scottsdale and have some appetizers/beer at

Scottsdale Beer Company

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie…

and then head to the area around the University of Tempe and bar hop for the rest of the evening.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
11,743 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An afternoon/evening in Phoenix

I strongly advise against hiking in the afternoon in September. A man died on a hiking trail just yesterday afternoon, and rescues are not uncommon.

I'm not sure where you're staying, but Tempe is on the east side of town and will make the drive to Tucson easier the next morning. This is where Arizona State University is located, so there are many bar/restaurant options. Four Peaks Brewery is good for dinner, but if your primary focus is beer I'd head to Arizona Wilderness which is east of Tempe.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An afternoon/evening in Phoenix

Early September days can still be very hot. So agree with advice to forget about hiking.

Tempe is also a good suggestion. Just east of airport and handy to I-10 to head for Tucson. I have not eaten at Four Peaks, but the beer is great.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An afternoon/evening in Phoenix

Thanks for the advice! We will be cautious re: the heat and only consider a hike if it is much cooler than usual. I had seen some info online about Four Peaks Brewery so with your recommendation will check it out. Cheers :)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An afternoon/evening in Phoenix

Yeah, be very careful hiking this time of year. Aunt Chilada's or Ajo Al's has good Mexican food.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
3,229 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An afternoon/evening in Phoenix

Dehydration is your biggest problem when hiking in the heat. Be sure you take plenty of water with you, wear sunscreen, a hat, and pace yourself according to the temperature avoiding afternoons when over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Be sure and stick to the trails keeping a sharp eye out for snakes along the way.

Reply to: An afternoon/evening in Phoenix
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted