We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transit Phoenix to Nogales AZ/MX

Phoenix, Arizona
2 posts
Public Transit Phoenix to Nogales AZ/MX

I am headed to Nogales MX to meet a friend before going to Guaymas together. I do not plan on bringing a car since I will be spending some time in Mexico and my friend is not familiar with the best way to commute to Nogales from Phoenix. I've looked around and it seems I can either take a shuttle from Phoenix to Nogales AZ then walk across (friend said this may be most convenient option since no waiting at the border) or a bus called Tufesa from Phoenix straight to Nogales MX. Has anybody done this trip and so what can you recommend. Does one just show up in Phoenix to buy a ticket either to the bus/shuttle day of the journey or are reservations required? If so does the shuttle/bus have reservation agents who speak English? I have a passport so not a problem but is there any other immigration documents needed when I cross the border. Any advice appreciated thx

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
18,072 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Public Transit Phoenix to Nogales AZ/MX

Both TUFESA and the shuttles have agents in their offices who speak English. You can, as you say, take a shuttle to the border and walk across to meet your friend. The buses an shuttles really do not take long to enter. TUFESA will take you to their bus station in Nogales Sonora, as will a shuttle service. For either, you need a reservation. You will find a Phoenix number for TUFESA by searching online. I can recommend a shuttle service, Hermosillo Super Shuttle, which also has a Phoenix number.

How are you traveling once in Mexico? You can obtain a tourist permit, FMM, at the border or when you drive south at Kilometer 21 on the Hwy 15. The FMM is free for 7 days. If your stay is longer, you cany pay at the banjercito at Km 21 or at any bank later. You have to turn the FMM in when you leave Mexico, but that is sometimes hard to do so don't worry about it if you can't.

2. Re: Public Transit Phoenix to Nogales AZ/MX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 11:07
Edited: 27 May 2015, 11:07
Phoenix, Arizona
2 posts
3. Re: Public Transit Phoenix to Nogales AZ/MX

My friend will have a private car so crossing border is the only problem. Looks like you can reserve tickets online thru Tufesa website will probably do that. Is it easier to get this FMM at the border while on the bus or at Km 21? If latter no problem since I'm with my friend. Also, I'm a foreign citizen but have a US green card, is there anything different with crossing the border using the bus that I need to keep in mind? Thx for your help.

4. Re: Public Transit Phoenix to Nogales AZ/MX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2018, 00:47
Get answers to your questions about Nogales
More Nogales Topics