We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tourist card (FMM???)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
25 posts
tourist card (FMM???)

Can i get a tourist card, i think it is now called an FMM, at the border at nogales? I understand that customs or the aduano??? is only a block or so from the border crossing. As i will be travelling by bus south to Mazatlan, i dont want the hassle of having to change busses at the 16 kilometer check point. Another person said his bus would not wait and he had to catch a later bus from the check point south. I want to pick up the card and then reenter the USA to overnight in Nogales USA. I will be getting a lift to Nogales with friends who are making a med run. Thanks

17 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
91 reviews
11. Re: tourist card (FMM???)

No one here can answer that question for you. You can check and see if there is a restriction on your passport. Mexican authorities see only what the US has provided, but they do scan your passport id code which can alert them to restrictions. Again, not an official answer.

6 posts
12. Re: tourist card (FMM???)

Where would I find out if I have restrictions . It's a German passport which I went and got after I got into trouble and thank you so much for answering

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
91 reviews
13. Re: tourist card (FMM???)

I do not think there are any experts on this subject here. I do not know the answer to foreign passport control.

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
14. Re: tourist card (FMM???)

Like the original poster, I would like to get an FMM at the border in Nogales. Especially because of the current road construction, it seems easier to get it at the border than at km 21. Can you explain where the office is in relation to the bus station? I will be coming up to the border from the south and returning south. (I couldn't spot the office at km 21 on my first trip and want to go back to get the FMM.)

Looking back over your comments, I see that you said that all the southbound buses stop at the immigration, so I guess I really wouldn't have to make a special trip to the office. But is it really the case that ALL the buses must stop there? I don't want to miss getting the card a second time!

Edited: 24 December 2017, 03:36
Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
15. Re: tourist card (FMM???)

P.S. And I thought you might be referring to the buses that come from north of the border and stop at Nogales. In my case, I would be taking a bus from Nogales, Sonora. What happened, is that I missed the check point when I drove down from the US in my car to Guaymas, and I want to go back to Nogales just to get the FMM, since there doesn't seem to be any other way to do it.

16. Re: tourist card (FMM???)

Just had the same experience with Tufesa. If you take a late bus, the office in Nogales is closed and so they MUST stop at the 21 kilometer office which is open 24 hrs. The bus drivers etc will try and tell you don't need it in a free area like Guaymas etc, but they are wrong. It is the law to have a visa if you are not a Mexican citizen and they can arrest and deport you. Some of this is pay back for our pathetic current administration in the USA and our treatment of Mexican citizens.

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
17. Re: tourist card (FMM???)

To update: I took a midnight Tufesa bus from Guaymas to Nogales, Sonora, which arrived about 6:30 am. The Tufesa station is several miles from the border along the boulevard which becomes the highway to the south. I walked out to the street and after asking a few people found the local bus going northward to the border and took it, arriving at the migracion at the crossing about 8 am. (The bus only took about 10 minutes, but it took me a while to get oriented, go to the bathroom, find the bus stop, etc.) The office was just opening (and I thought it ran 24/7!), so I got my FMM stamped, took the city bus back to the station, and caught a Tufesa bus back to Guaymas, leaving at 11 am. Arrived in G. about 6 pm and caught the local bus back to San Carlos, picked up my truck where I had parked it near the bus stop and drove back to our rented condo. I slept well that night!

By the way, that bus from Nogales, Sonora, to Guaymas did NOT stop at km 21, which makes sense to me, because there was really no reason for it to do that since it was going from one part of Mexico to another.

Edited: 04 October 2018, 05:24
Reply to: tourist card (FMM???)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nogales
More Nogales Topics