We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tourist card (FMM???)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
25 posts
tourist card (FMM???)

Can i get a tourist card, i think it is now called an FMM, at the border at nogales? I understand that customs or the aduano??? is only a block or so from the border crossing. As i will be travelling by bus south to Mazatlan, i dont want the hassle of having to change busses at the 16 kilometer check point. Another person said his bus would not wait and he had to catch a later bus from the check point south. I want to pick up the card and then reenter the USA to overnight in Nogales USA. I will be getting a lift to Nogales with friends who are making a med run. Thanks

17 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,895 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: tourist card (FMM???)

It's generally called a tourist permit. Yes you can get it at the downtown border crossing.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,895 posts
91 reviews
2. Re: tourist card (FMM???)

You can also check with the Mexican Consulate in Phoenix and see if you can obtain a tourist permit or FMM (Forma Migracion Multple) there. They used to have them, but you couldn't pay for them there. It has to be paid in a bank in Mexico. If you did not pay for it (The Migracion office at the border only issues it and doesn't accept payment), and are asked for it at an inspection stop, you might not be able to continue and you might be assessed a fine. Ask where to pay for it when you get it.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
48 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: tourist card (FMM???)

Your information is lacking. It would be helpful to know US side or Mexico, what exit and details.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,895 posts
91 reviews
4. Re: tourist card (FMM???)

This is an old post, and the OP has likely traveled already over a year ago. To add info, all the buses going into Mexico at the Nogales crossing go through the downtown crossing, and stop at the Mexican Immigration office just inside the border before continuing. They do not stop at the KM 21 immigration stop. They all go to their stations in Nogales before continuing.

Louisville, Ohio
1 post
1 review
5. Re: tourist card (FMM???)

Is the border crossing office where the FMM visitors visa open 24 hours a day?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,895 posts
91 reviews
6. Re: tourist card (FMM???)

The downtown immigration office in Nogales Sonora is open 24 hours. You will need a passport to get FMM. You only need a FMM if you are going further than 15 miles (21 kilometers) into Mexico.

Edited: 04 April 2017, 05:46
6 posts
7. Re: tourist card (FMM???)

Me. Bob please answer me.. you seem to have a lot of information and I have a few questions. I have a pending felony charge drug related ... Will they know when I cross by land to pick up my FMM ? What if I avoid picking it up and make my way to Mexico city

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,895 posts
91 reviews
8. Re: tourist card (FMM???)

My advice is don't go. Especially you likely may not be able to go all the way to Mexico City.

Mexico and US cooperate on drug charges. You would not be arrested in Mexico, but they do check passport restrictions and would send you back to the border. If US has a restriction on you, you won't be able to enter, and you could be arrested on re-entry to US.

It is rare to be asked for FMM while in Mexico. If you do not have one, that is a fine and possible jail, and an inquiry would be made to US authorities.

This is not official advice.

6 posts
9. Re: tourist card (FMM???)

I don't have any restrictions ... I have not been sentenced or anything . When getting the FMM will they see I have pending charges

10. Re: tourist card (FMM???)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 May 2017, 08:52
Edited: 21 May 2017, 08:52

Reply to: tourist card (FMM???)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nogales
More Nogales Topics