We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on Bariloche and surrounding areas

Wilmington
4 posts
Save Topic
Update on Bariloche and surrounding areas

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone been to Bariloche and the surrounding areas in the past couple of days? How are things looking in regards to the ash situation? Are the days clear for the most part? Is there high visibility? We plan to be there in mid-march 2012 and am not sure whether or not to cancel the trip and go elsewhere in the country.

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on Bariloche and surrounding areas

Hello LLT88,

I think post # 63( dated Feb. 1st) on the following thread would be the the most recent update there is on the Forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312848-i5848-k489…

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
78 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update on Bariloche and surrounding areas

I arrived yesterday to storms, some scattered rain, crazy winds.

Today is GORGEOUS! clear blue skies, bright sun and a few high clouds

hotel manager said it had been clear most days recently excepting the weather yesterday

HTH

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
78 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on Bariloche and surrounding areas

FWIW- the ash rolled back into town tonight. Today was gorgeous and beautiful, but after we left downtown from dinner, the ash was rolling in like fog across the lake. The winds were very still today, so maybe they shifted in the wrong direction. We shall see how bad it gets & what tomorrow brings....

Wilmington
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Update on Bariloche and surrounding areas

Thanks so much on all the info! Please keep me updated on your weather if you get a chance!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
78 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update on Bariloche and surrounding areas

Looks very foggy/ash this morning. The lake is VERY calm, so i assume not enough winds to keep the ash going in the other direction.

We are hopefully headed out otoday if our plane leaves.

Best of luck having good weather- it has been perfect here the last 2 days.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
78 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update on Bariloche and surrounding areas

FWIW. we were totally screwed today..

the flight to barilche didn't leave.

some flights went in and out today, but we couldn't get any seats anywhere

plus they had no idea if flights would be landing/departing at all today

Options were drive 20 hours(Plus $1K for rental car fee) or bus 28 hours to Calafate, which wouldn't even leave until tomorrow morning at 9AM...arrive several days late.

Drive 4-6 hours to Neuquen and then wait another 24 hours to catch the next available flight to BA. Pay for a flight to Santiago & skip our entire S. Patagonia trip.

The airlines were really useless and no help. We were in Aerolineas trying to get to Calafate & the flight (if it even was able to take off) for sold out for the 3 next days. They were no help in really booking a BA flight since they had not a clue when/if the Bariloche airport would be open. That's why we decided our best option was to drive to Neuquen and fly to BA.

It totally sucks and I'm very upset. I wish I had avoided Bariloche altogether & not risked the rest (most important) part of our trip by getting stuck there with few alternatives to get out.

Argentina
Level Contributor
129 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Update on Bariloche and surrounding areas

Today was some of the worst ash we have had in Bariloche in recent weeks, hence the flight cancellations... even though only 2 of the 5 scheduled arrivals were cancelled: Source: http://www.aa2000.com.ar/

Sorry to hear you feel you were 'screwed', but reading any one of the forum posts on Bariloche will give you a general idea that nothing is guaranteed with air travel in Bariloche and being high season I would never expect to be able to get a seat on a flight at the last minute when only a limited number of flight are actually leaving/arriving

There are daily buses to Buenos Aires with a luxury Tutto Letto service with ViaBariloche, or every other day there is the 'Ruta 40' bus to El Calafate taking in Patagonia. The risk of a flight being cancelled is much greater than that of the bus.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
12 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Update on Bariloche and surrounding areas

LAN takes you to Neuquén city (450 km north of Bariloche), from there the Government has buses that take you to Bariloche. We did this last October, flew from B.Aires to Neuquen (short 1.5 hour flight) but we opted for a conventional bus (quicker as it left less than 1 hour after we touched down at Neuquen, and bus terminal is about 5 km from airport, a 5 minute drive). We left BA at 6 AM arrived at Neuquen around 7:30 and our bus left at 8:30. By 2 PM we were in Bariloche. We bought our bus tickets on the Internet.

On the way back we went to Bariloche Airport from where the government buses picked us up and took us back to Neuquen, where we waited a couple of hours for our flight home.

Not too bad.

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Update on Bariloche and surrounding areas

Bariloche airport reopened in January.

10. Re: Update on Bariloche and surrounding areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2013, 14:54