We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton or Belmond das Cataratas

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
32 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton or Belmond das Cataratas

Next week we are flying round trip from Buenos Aires to IGR for three nights at Iguazu Falls and are trying to decide between the Sheraton on the Argentina side and the Belmond in Brazil. We had figured we'd just book a falls-view room at the Sheraton, but the Belmond seems like it might be a nicer hotel and the prices are about the same.

Any thoughts? Is it easy to get a taxi from IGR to take us across the border? (We do have our visas.) And if we stayed at the Belmond we would probably have one full day for the Argentina side; would that be enough? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Iguazu Falls
Iguazu Falls
11,215 Reviews
Iguazu National Park, Argentina
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Belmond Hotel das Cataratas
#1 of 81 hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Melia Iguazu
Melia Iguazu
#1 of 1 hotels in Iguazu National Park
#1 of 81 hotels in Foz do Iguacu
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton or Belmond das Cataratas

The Belmond is a much nicer hotel and the views are spectacular. It is easy to get a taxi from in from of the hotel to the Argentine park and back to the hotel for your day visit.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
218 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton or Belmond das Cataratas

We stayed at Sheraton. Yes, it's a 3 star hotel in a 5 star setting, but a very attractive feature is that you can be walking in the park at 8 on the dot (or even a few minutes before) and have the park to yourself (practically). We had the entire upper trail to ourselves a couple weeks ago-- just passed one other couple who had stopped to take some serious photographs. We were on this trail for more than hour-- and didn't pass anyone other than the first couple for about 50 minutes. We then went to the lower trail and found very few people there, several minutes would go by without passing another person. (perhaps visitors take train directly to Devils Throat, so walking onto the trail that farthest away from the train stop at 8 am helped to go against the grain).

I didn't investigate the Belmond as I didn't have a visa, so I can't compare, can only point out a major plus of the Sheraton. We ate dinner at the bar (nice view of falls). Breakfast was good and included. I would stay there again.

Edited: 06 January 2017, 08:01
Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
32 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton or Belmond das Cataratas

Thanks for your responses. We decided on the Belmond. We have been here for a couple of nights and I don't want to leave. It's one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in anywhere.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton or Belmond das Cataratas

Thanks for the feedback my Carlsbad neighbor....Enjoy!!

5. Re: Sheraton or Belmond das Cataratas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2018, 10:46