We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Argentine customs?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Argentine customs?

Hola,

I will be studying abroad in Argentina for four months starting this March. I was wondering if there are any Argentine customs I should be aware of (such as kissing people on the cheek and not giving the thumbs up sign). Do you know of any customs or a website which outlines them? Any help is appreciated!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,544 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Argentine customs?

You only kiss on the right cheek here and not both as in Europe. The thumbs up is a universal sign of positive acknowlegment. You can use it here also.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,060 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Argentine customs?

Oh I get kissed on both cheeks too ! Depends on how happy that person is to see you maybe ? lol

I see thumbs up all the time, most recently from the plumber.. he was just thankful I did not beat him over the head with one of his tools..

but I read somewhere that the OK side is not polite.. you know thumb and index finger making an O ... apparently it means something else in some places..

The people here are lovely, friendly and helpful.. and always ready to laugh.

Being polite, saying hello first and thanking them etc... you will be fine ..

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Argentine customs?

kochx:

If you want more information, you can buy (or find in a library ?) a small paper-back book called:

ARGENTINA: the essential guide to customs & Culture.

culture smart! series - by Robert Hamwee

~MarnieWDC

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Argentine customs?

Best not to discuss politics, the military dictatoships, the disappeared or the Falkland (Malvinas) war. Sometimes even Evita and Peron get people going. Argentines are very sensitive to these things and sometimes their opinion can fall on one side or the other. Economics is also a sensitive issue. Best you wait to be asked your opinion rather than offering it first.. But I suggest you read a little about their history before you arrive so you can put things in context and have a background in the issues. You will be asked how you like their country. Fortunately you will probably say its great. People in Argentina hate their politicians but love their country. Futbol (Soccer) the safe bet is to say you root for the Argentine national team. The local teams (Boca - River, etc) are another source of contrroversy. It will be a lot of fun and I look forward to you posting your experiences here so other visitors and students can learn from your experience.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Argentine customs?

Hello !

I agree with Scarlett

"Being polite, saying hello first and thanking them etc... you will be fine .."

Saying "Buen dia" when you enter a taxi and "Hasta Luego" or "Chau" when you leave it.

Letting women go before men when entering or passing somewhere.

Smiling and looking at the eyes are wellcome.

IMO, most people here are polite and have good manners.

Cheers

Silvia

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,060 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Argentine customs?

Silvia, I would say that too, almost everyone is polite here and well mannered, the exceptions are rare.

One of the many things I love about BA :)

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
512 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Argentine customs?

Eye contact is important.... conveys sincerity when meeting people, with any exchange of ideas, in celebratory toasts., in the conclusion of an agreement. 8~).

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,618 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Argentine customs?

Kissing a woman on the cheek is the norrm.

Men sometimes kiss other men on the cheek, but this is more often reserved for friends.

Eye contact is a good thing in most settings. The exception is for females in night clubs where eye contact can be misinterpreted.

I absolutely agree that saying "buen dia" when entering a taxi is an excellent idea. I think honoring this custom will help reduce the probability of the taxi driver trying to scam you....not only is it polite, it shows you understand local customs and are not just some rube from the States.

Wagging your index finger and making a clicking sound with your tongue to a street vendor who follows you and will not desist...is a firm way of saying NO, I am not interested in your product or in giving you " monedas."

Veritas makes some good points about topics to avoid...but if someone initiates conversations with you about politics or soccer....by all means join in....I have had some spirited and enjoyable conversations on these topics with Taxi drivers and others....

Edited: 29 January 2010, 04:32
9. Re: Argentine customs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2010, 11:48