We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bank of America ATM Card withdrawals in Buenos Aires

san diego
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bank of America ATM Card withdrawals in Buenos Aires

We are going to Buenos Aires in about 2 weeks. I see many different posts on topic of ATM limits. As of this date, does anyone have any accurate information on the per transaction limit for a Bank of America ATM card with the Visa logo. We are staying in the Puerto Madero area. Which banks would be the best to go to. Thanks

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bank of America ATM Card withdrawals in Buenos Aires

There are no Bank of America ATM machines in Buenos Aires. All transactions using your BOA card are subject to an international transaction fee assessed by Bank of America, regardless of the type of account you have with BOA (I stopped using my BOA card for this reason). Before I stopped using my card, I had no problem with withdrawals from CITI ATM machines or Banco Frances or Banco de la Nacion.

Withdrawal limits fluctuate so I will leave this detail to another poster with more recent experience....

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bank of America ATM Card withdrawals in Buenos Aires

I should also mention that BNP Paribas ATM's are available in Buenos Aires. BNP Paribas is a partner of Bank of America and permits BOA cardholders to make free withdrawals from Paribas ATMs in France. The free withdrawal arrangement does not apply in Argentina, where you will pay a withdrawal fee and an international transaction fee.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,957 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bank of America ATM Card withdrawals in Buenos Aires

BNP Paribas and all other ATM's , charge a fee of $11.53 pesos for each withdrawal.

The withdrawal amounts have gone up , we are able to withdraw $1000 pesos now.

This will be in addition to the fee your own bank charges you. ( this fee is also subject to change with no warning..)

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
512 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bank of America ATM Card withdrawals in Buenos Aires

BNP Paribas does not exist in Bs As it was taken over by Santander Rio 2 months ago.. They just haven't gotten around to changing signs.

san diego
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bank of America ATM Card withdrawals in Buenos Aires

Does Santander work? Also how about HSBC or Citibank? Thanks

New York
Level Contributor
412 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bank of America ATM Card withdrawals in Buenos Aires

You will be charged $US 5.00 by B of A if you use your ATM card in Argentina because BofA does not have a corresponding bank in Argentina. I got nailed by Bof A in China b/c I used the wrong bank and was charged $5.00 for each withdrawal. We have since openned an account with HSBC that has branches everywhere in Argentina. There is no charge for using an HSBC ATM. Also depending on the amount you deposit, you are able to use 3-4 non HSBC ATM's per month. Check its website.

Be warned BofA, is NOT international friendly. Check its website. We learned the expensive way!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,957 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bank of America ATM Card withdrawals in Buenos Aires

Santandar works just the way I described, BNP / Santandar is our bank.

All banks in BA charge the same fees for each transaction and I am pretty sure all banks have the same limits.. some might have lower limits but not by much.. we were happy with the 1,000 peso limit .. we go to whichever bank has the highest limit on the ATM.

HSBC and Citibank are not really connected to the US counterparts.. their rules and limits will be the same as the rest of BA.

Do a Search, just put in ATM and you will get loads of past discussions that will answer all of the questions you might have.

Edited: 11 December 2009, 18:31
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,957 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bank of America ATM Card withdrawals in Buenos Aires

Sandie, that is a shame, $5.00 US each transaction?

Ours is still 11.54 Ar = which is about $3.36 .. On vacation it is nothing to think about but living here, it can really get annoying ! :)

9. Re: Bank of America ATM Card withdrawals in Buenos Aires

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2010, 09:46