We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear

New Jersey
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to wear

Are most people wearing jeans during the day,

or they are just for youngsters.We are going in March . Thanks

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear

many people wear jeans in baires during the day, even the older people... not so much in the summer cause it's really hot, but in march the weather is less hot and humid and It's very common to wear jenas, yes. At night also you can wear jeans with a nice top and boots/sandals depending always on what you are doing, and where you are going, of course.

New York, NY
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear

We are a couple in their late 20's from New York City and I know usually US tourists stick out with their shorts. I was planning on bringing a skirt- but in New York m"hip" men wear shorts on a summer day. Will my boyfriend stick out like a sore thumb with his shorts on? If so, what should he wear?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear

Your bf won't have any problems wearing shorts(knee length) during the day. In the summer time, unless a person is going to work, you see will alot of shorts around the city(and not just tourists). AT night for dinner then switch to long pants.

It's your vacation, you need to be comfortable.

Enjoy!!

boston
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear

Hi All,

Just returned from BA and I hate to disagree with all the local experts, as I value and found their reccomendations spot on and very helpful. BUT.....

As a man, you can go into any restaurant regardless of price with a nice pair of jeans and clean, crisp shirt. Daytime, during the summer men of ALL ages can be seen wearing shorts. Yes, not as much as back here in the US, but we certainly were not the exception and didn't stick out as tourists nor did we feel out of place. Shorts for men in BA are typically the longer type knee length or longer. Cargo shorts are perfect, though long walking shorts are good too. Women also wore lot's of jeans. I admit I saw few women in shorts, and most that had them on were expat college age. BA women tended to wear jeans or summer dresses.

All in all, be comfortable, it can be very hot during the day. Nights, seemed cooler, so wearing jeans or long pants wasn't a problem.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,895 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear

Women wear jeans but nothing baggy. They are fitted, perfectly. And while there are young men wearing shorts here, as said, they are longer slimmer cut, not the low riding baggy things guys wear in the US.

And almost all men wear shirts with collars.

Men and women alike wear the clothes fitted, even in summer, you won't see the tent-like tee shirts hanging out of jeans ..

In March..it will still be warm. . I arrived here in April and found skirts and light trousers more comfortable .. especially at night, people here tend to dress more when going out at night..for days too for that matter. It is not so casual as in the States.

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
196 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear

Is there any need to take a sports coat or blazer to wear at night? It sounds like long sleeves rolled up will be okay.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear

You don't need to wear a sports coat in the evening in the summer. If you werd here in the Winter then you would feeel comfortable in a sports coat.

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear

If you are a normal sized person...tending to the smaller sizes you might want to consider buying clothes while you are in BA. I know several posters here traveled light and picked up clothes in BA to wear during their vacation. They got bargains, looked stylish for BA and the clothes were used when they broght them home so no duty. A thought in case you like to shop.

St. Croix
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear

Veritas....That's exactly what I plan on doing. I have heard that most clothing stores carry mostly smaller sizes. What's considered small?

I wear either a size 8 or 10 depending on style. Will I have trouble finding clothes?

buenos aires
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear

Quoting: "....I have heard that most clothing stores carry mostly smaller sizes. What's considered small?.."

Let's see....I'll give you an example: in BA, my size is "medium" or "large" depending on style. In US sizes I am a 6....