We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7.0 Lira to £1 GBP

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Hisaronu
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
7.0 Lira to £1 GBP

Unbelievable rate at the moment, topped 7 Lira earlier this evening.

Great for the tourists, but away from the resorts the dwindling value of Turkish Lira must be hitting people hard.

For me though, I won't be changing anything in advance of any travels as the Turkish currency is just too risky.

Hope everyone is enjoying the rate as it is.

Happy holidays!!!

Cheers Adam

16 replies to this topic
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
345 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7.0 Lira to £1 GBP

I've been watching, incredulously, the lira movement all evening but it has recovered quite a bit after taking a battering. The merchants (and airport transfer taxis) selling goods priced in pounds are doing very well but hotel and bar staff not benefitting as much. Might be a bit more generous with tips when I visit Villa Beldeniz next month!

Adam; if you're not buying then you must be fairly confident the rate will go up. I think I may swap a pound or two before I go.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 7.0 Lira to £1 GBP

I'm Hitting the Bureau de Change in the UK today, even though I don't go until the end of September.

Who knows what will happen in the future but the rate is more than good enough for me now.

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
417 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7.0 Lira to £1 GBP

I can remember being pleased when it hit 4 TL to the pound! I do hope the tourist trade doesn't do too badly this year, at least numbers of tourists seem to be going up again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7.0 Lira to £1 GBP

Excellent news for me....flying out today!

Spalding, United...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7.0 Lira to £1 GBP

rate is now 6.78 to the £ so maybe around 6.65 in resort

you can get 6.57 in UK,so unless you are changing up thousands of £'s the difference is peanuts

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Hisaronu
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7.0 Lira to £1 GBP

@ Denizdameniz, I'm not risking changing as we did this last year @ 4.779 and by the time we traveled the rate was @ 6.0, so we'd lost quite a bit as we'd changed a lot of money for the group of 7 that were travelling.

So lesson well and truly learnt!!!

@ John H, you're a brave man, fingers crossed that it works for you.

@ Sueps54, the rate has just gone bonkers, definitely working in our favour, I think it was in 2010, when we were getting 2.25 and a beer was @ 7.5, so £3.33 for a bottle of Efes, when we were there in May, we were paying £2 for the same bottle.

@ Em131313, I wish we were heading off today, hope you all have a fab time!!!

@ sarah_david_40, yeah the rate has come back down overnight, now @ 6.65 in the UK, it's all over the place, but looking at the currency graph on XE, year after year it has constantly increased, so even if people are changing thousands, unless travelling in the next couple of weeks I'd now be waiting until arriving in the resort.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/…

Anyway it keeps us all talking.

Cheers Adam

Edited: 07 August 2018, 15:01
Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7.0 Lira to £1 GBP

Have a great holiday EM.

Lets hope it's 7TL to the £ when Sept gets here :-)

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Hisaronu
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7.0 Lira to £1 GBP

Have you held off changing any money DCM?

Spalding, United...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7.0 Lira to £1 GBP

we have 384TL left from our last holiday,so that will be enough for our next 2 week holiday ;-)

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 7.0 Lira to £1 GBP

I've just this minute changed mine at John Lewis.

I got 6.5598Tl to the £1.

Reply to: 7.0 Lira to £1 GBP
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted