We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go near Oludeniz

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go near Oludeniz

Am hiring a car for just two days while in Oludeniz just to see the nearby sights, so any recommendations where to go and what's best to see within say a 30-45minute drive (eg. good beach, nature reserve, botanical gardens etc?)

15 replies to this topic
Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,638 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go near Oludeniz

Hello Peter D, drive up the mountains from Faralya and Kabak, if you take the turn to Kirme and Karaağaç you will be very rural Faralya and Kabak are in the meantime very touristy.

Drive to Kayaköy to explore the deserted Greek town, you can continue to Af Kule (ruins of a monastery) and Gemiler beach.

Other then that you will always have to pass through Fethiye and drive further ahead . I do think these two options give you enough to do and see! Viel spaß!

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
3,255 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go near Oludeniz

Got to agree with VR, unless you know the area well, Fethiye can be a nightmare to get though!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go near Oludeniz

Great, thanks very much guys, sounds about right for a couple of days exploring.

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
19,129 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go near Oludeniz

If you have google maps on your your phone use them. They are very useful for getting around. We go into Fethiye lots when we are over in Calis, best not to come on Tuesday which is Market day. If you want to park use the park opposite McDonalds which is at the end of the Kordon at the Marina. We park there and it is a 5 minute walk to town. Parking there is quite cheap aroud 4 Lira for a few hours.

If you go the the Harbour at the Address Cafe, you can get the Calis Beach Boat Taxi over to Calis. Leaves on the hour and half hour. A lovely 30 minute journey and only 7.50TL. When you get to Calis go to the Prom there are lots of cafes and a lovely view across to the 12 Islands.

Also a trip to Kayakoy is lovely, seeing the Ghost Town and trying one of the great restaurants there. The new Rokka Restaurant is really nice with fabulous views all around

Again you could take a run to Dalyan. A really nice place with lovely restaurants on the river and looking out to the Rock Tombs. Take a boat trip there.

A run to Saklikent is also a good day out.

North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
7,397 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go near Oludeniz

Really FJ, personally I love Tuesdays, a great day to visit Fethiye, as is everyday! Just avoid the typical Fethiye market area and visit the old town harbour and fish market.

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
19,129 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go near Oludeniz

C.F. I totally agree, Fethiye is great any day of the week. We love it and spend a lot of time there. However, Peter has a hire car for a couple of days and trying to get parked in Fethiye on Tuesday is a nightmare. This is the sole reason I told him to avoid Tuesday. All the parking spaces are taken and even the car parks are full, plus lots of times there are traffic jams on Market Day. We sat in a traffic jam one day for 40 minutes slowly moving along in the town centre. Sorry to say if you have a car Tuesday is not the day to take it to Fethiye. Better to get the dolmus on a Tuesday. 😊

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,638 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go near Oludeniz

Parking in Fethiye is a nightmare all summer, we have to go to town every day for our daily grocery shopping and most days it is impossible to find a parking space at all. So we stop and park just at the bottom of the Kaya road, walk down, do our shopping and leave it at the shops, then we tour to collect our shopping, there is no other way unless you get there before say 09:30 - 10:00 in the morning. Even the carp.arks are full. All the schools have opened their grounds from parking too now, still there is this problem. And as Fethiye is growing, slowly it is also a problem in winter I am afraid. If you intend to go to Fethiye from Ölüdeniz you would be dong best to just hop on the dolmus, much easier :-)

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
3,255 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go near Oludeniz

Got to agree with CF & VR, parking in Fethiye is a nightmare at the best of times and with the large market on a Tuesday, forget it. Much easier to jump on the dolmus to get there.

Tuesday market as previously said, IS huge, but once done, I dont think it's something I have ever rushed back to. The Monday market in Hisaronu is much nicer.

As also already said the daily fish market is lovely and both lunchtimes and early evenings are fine.

The harbour at Fethiye is very nice to walk around and see all the various boats and lots of little 'watering' holes.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go near Oludeniz

Wow, thanks soooo much everyone for some great tips. The Calis Beach Boat Taxi sounds good Frances-Jane, plus the visit to Kayokoy, and market at Hisanoru. Seems I will definitely avoid Fethiye on a Tuesday. Silly question - its mentioned to "jump on the dolmus", but what is a 'dolmus', the local bus transport? ie. you say I can hop on one in Oludeniz to take us to Fethiye, sounds useful...does it go elsewhere.

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
3,255 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go near Oludeniz

The 'dolmus' is probobly the best local bus service anywhere.

They are basically mini busses (sometimes slightly bigger). They go back and forth between Oludeniz Hisaronu Ovacik and Fethiye every few minutes and cost pennies to use. They also then go much further afield all linking up at local bus stations. A very good form of transport.

They are more recently all air conditioned and limit how many people can get on & even insist of the door being shut. In the 'good' old days can clearly remember having 20-30 people on one plus chickens geese etc and hanging on by the open door!

Reply to: Where to go near Oludeniz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted