We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Cape Town to Knysna

Milan, Italy
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
From Cape Town to Knysna

Dear all

Can you suggest me villages or tourist points to be visited between Cape Town and Knysna.

I think I will cover that distance in one day but I'd like to plan a stop for lunch and visit.

What about Cape Agulhas?

Many thanks

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Cape Town to Knysna

Hi there

The drive from Cape Town to Knysna is about 5hours. So start early, at least at 8am and then you can take the drive via the N2 highway. For a good lunch stop, just after Swellendam, about 10kilometers there is a very good Farm House Restaurant, called Rolandales on your left which serves really good food. Towns along the way from Cape Town will be Caloedon, Swellendam, Heidelberg, Riversdale, Albertinia, Mosselbay, George, Sedgefield and then Knysna.

Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Cape Town to Knysna

Hi

First of all you will have to decide what route you are going to take, i.e. mainly inland (e.g. the R62) or "coastal" (N2). Inland will take you through mountains and semi-Karoo, wine estates and fruit farms. The "coastal" road is the better (faster) road for travel and will take you through grain, cattle and sheep farm areas.

Depending on how you plan your inland trip, it could take you through scenic towns like Ladismith, Calitzdorp and Oudtshoorn. The "coastal" route will take you through the towns mentioned in the post above.

Going via Cape Augulhas, is a significant detour. Do this trip only if you want to tick the "have been to the southern most tip of Africa" box. There is little else to this place in my view. If you had more time available DE HOOP Nature Reserve (to the east of Cape Agulhas) is a nice place with a sad history. The other disadvantage of these villages is that you cannot drive on the coast from village to village. In most cases you need to go back inland and then down to the coat again. (Taking lots of time and km's). The sea views here are spectacular, but better than at the Head in Knysns..? I don't think so.

Alternatively you can combine the inland and 'Coastal" routes. Travel via Du Toit's Kloof inland and get back onto the N2 at Swellendam.

Taking the inland route, I would stop over at Calitzdorp for lunch and visit the Boplaas wine Estate (famous for its muscadel). Taking the coastal route, I would stop over at Swellendam and also pop into the Bontebok National Park. Swellendam is quite a historic town with a few things to see. Why not arranging for a picnic basket at one of the eating places in town and go and enjoy it on the banks of the Breede River in the Bontebok Park?

The latter would be my choice.

ENJOY!!

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Cape Town to Knysna

So if we plan to drive from CT to Knysna with one over night stop, would Oudtshoorn be a good one nighter?

Or are we taking the longer route for not much gain?

There is so much to see and do, I am spoilt for choice!

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Cape Town to Knysna

Hi Vegasfan.

From a "things-to-do" point of view, Oudtshoorn is not a bad choice at all.

From a distance point of view, Oudtshoorn is fairly close to Knysna and perhaps not the best choice. In which case Swellendam (Bontebok Park) might have been a better choice.

But then again, staying over in Oudshoorn does allow you to arrive fairly late in the day and giving you ample opportunity the next day to enjoy Oudtshoorn before leaving for Knysna.

ENJOY!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,673 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Cape Town to Knysna

You'll need your map for this advice.. Take the N2 to Swellendam and then the R324 to Barrydale, where you will then reach R62. R324 takes you through the spectacular Tradouw Pass.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1144&bih=670&q=tradouws+pass&gbv=2&oq=tradouws&aq=0S&aqi=g-S1&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=1530l4006l0l6184l8l8l0l0l0l0l125l934l0.8l8l0&gs_l=img.1.0.0i24.1530l4006l0l6184l8l8l0l0l0l0l125l934l0j8l8l0#hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=tradouw+pass+south+africa&oq=tradouw+pass&aq=1S&aqi=g1g-S1&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=12680l12680l0l14774l1l1l0l0l0l0l219l219l2-1l1l0&gs_l=img.1.1.0j0i24.12680l12680l0l14775l1l1l0l0l0l0l219l219l2-1l1l0&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=f30ed573121c7a08&biw=1144&bih=670

From Barrydale, continue on to Outdshoorn.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

6. Re: From Cape Town to Knysna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 00:26