We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Cape Town to Knysna

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Driving from Cape Town to Knysna

Looking to drive from Cape Town to Knysna. Planning to drive a rented car from Avis (or similar rental companies)

How much average deposit do car hire companies block on the credit card for a 5 day car hire approximately?

How is the N2 to travel and what are the best places I can stop for a break along the 5 hour route for gas and good food?

Is it a good idea to drive this route? Is it tourist safe and friendly? Suggestions please

4 replies to this topic
Salford, United...
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Cape Town to Knysna

We did this trip. Hired a car from Avis, online before arrival. Unfortunately I cant remember the details of the deposit/rate. We stopped at Riviersonderend for fuel and a snack, but there are plenty of nicer places.

The route had generally light traffic and drivers of slow vehicles will pull to the shoulder to let you past (and its considerate to do the same). Never felt concerned for our safety. It's an easy drive and one which I enjoyed. Its a popular route to self drive.

There are a lot of police speed traps on the N2, so be aware and stick to the posted speed limit. In some built up areas there are different speed limits for cars and commercial vehicles, the latter having a picture of a truck underneath the posted speed - very easy to get confused by this, then be driving too slowly.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
2. Re: Driving from Cape Town to Knysna

<<Is it tourist safe>>

Of course, why would it not be?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,278 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Cape Town to Knysna

I am a big fan of Avia Car Rental and always recommend them always. They are the biggest car rental company in South Africa and have branches just about all over South Africa which makes the emergency response or swapping/exchange vehicle processes quite easy.

Regarding driving on the N2 Highway, its easy and very straight forward. Small towns are about 50km's apart and all of them have small restaurants of where you can pop in for a quick coffee or snack. You can have a look at Buffelsjagsrivier or Swellendam and then you can also have a look at Mosselbay for a restaurant stop. You can have a look at Albertinia for a quick stop at their Aloe Vera Factory.

All the best!

Hank Daries - Owner - Ulungele Tours & Safaris

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Driving from Cape Town to Knysna

Thanks a lot for the replies

Reply to: Driving from Cape Town to Knysna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted