We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I squeeze in table mountain?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Can I squeeze in table mountain?

My flight lands in CT from Joburg at 14:00 (on a Sunday in August). I’ll only have hand luggage so I’m thinking by the time I pick up my SIM card and get through the airport it might be 15:00ish, allowing for delays.

Then private transfer to a central hotel and check in, it might be 16:00ish.

Do you think there’s any chance of squeezing in a visit to table mountain?

If not, would you suggest utilising the little time I have to do anything else in particular?

I’ve not yet booked the hotel but have been checking out Derwent House and Blackheath Lodge. Derwent seems close to the foot of table mountain so at least I might get some decent views. Blackheath is on the waterfront which would be nice.

I’ll be travelling alone so will probably just grab a bite to eat at the hotel in the evening. I’m not hugely comfortable with eating out on my own and making reservations etc. Especially as I’ll need an early night due to the fact I’ll be leaving CT at 6am the next morning.

Also, I’m not into shopping if that helps with any suggestions.

Any advice would be much welcomed, thank you.

4 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I squeeze in table mountain?

It gets dark in Cape Town around 18:00 and you really shouldn't be anywhere alone after dark. If you were planning on taking the cable car up, the last car up goes at 17:00 and the last car down is at 18:00. Unless you wanted to hike around up top (which I recommend you do), you don't technically need more than an hour up top just to look at the view. However, if you check into your hotel at 16:00, you would be quite rushed to get settled in, drive or Uber to the cableway, and get your ticket by 17:00. In the end it's up to you, but if I were you I would try and do it when you have a bit more time if you can If it is your only opportunity, I think it's at least worth trying.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I squeeze in table mountain?

Thank you, Ashley. I didn’t even factor in it getting dark so early, that’s a very good point.

What a shame! It looks like I’ll have to skip it and save it for my next visit, I don’t fancy being up there alone as it gets dark.

Maybe staying at Derwent will mean having the views at least.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
53 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I squeeze in table mountain?

Hi Andrea

Table Mountain deserves more than just to be squeezed in. You need a good couple of hours to really appreciate it.

I would suggest a walk on Sea Point promenade to watch the sunset. On some Sunday evenings there is a group of salsa dancers on the promenade close to Sea Point pavilion. A lovely way to while away an hour while sipping on your coffee or enjoying some gelato from one of the stands.

Then head to either Mojo market in Sea Point or the Waterfront for supper.

Enjoy your brief visit to the Mother City. And definitely come back.

ps: the Waterfront is quite safe after dark. Just be vigilant

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I squeeze in table mountain?

Thank you so much, lucillew. That sounds absolutely perfect :)

I wish I could stay for longer but I will make sure I allow much more time to soak up CT next time I visit.

Reply to: Can I squeeze in table mountain?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted