We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalk Bay day trip

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kalk Bay day trip

Kalk Bay has been recommended as a day trip while on CT. we don't have a car nor do we want to drive. So...

1. Is it safe and easy to take train there?

2. If we Uber there, does anyone know if Uber is available there,?

3. Any other suggestions, ideas, are appreciated!

5 replies to this topic
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
918 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalk Bay day trip

You can take a train they are extremely cheap But a bit run down and are never on time BUT its a fun trip and stops at Kalk bay .I would also continue on the train to Fish hoek as the train runs right next to the sea

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalk Bay day trip

Kalk Bay is a hotspot for Uber. See them there all the time.

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalk Bay day trip

Take the train, pay the extra cost for a premium ticket. Very scenic looking out of the left side while heading away from Cape Town.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalk Bay day trip

Hi There, I've never taken the train and have always heard varying reports over the years (the locals will be able to best guide you on this). My recommendation is to start at Muizenberg for a walk on the beach (you can hire a body board or surfboard if that's your thing) - there are a few lovely cafes, so it makes a good start to the day for breakfast or coffee.You can then walk to Kalk Bay along the beach -

lovemycapetown.com/muizenberg-kalk-bay-sceni…

It only takes an hour or so and it is lovely. Kalk Bay is lovely for lunch (Harbour House my recommendation - book ahead to get the window seats, it's wonderful), and Cape to Cuba is fun for a drink. There's a few nice shops to poke around in but for me it's not an all day thing - if you do end up using Uber you might want to think about coming back via one or two Constantia wineries after lunch? It really just depends how much you like to squeeze into a day!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
669 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalk Bay day trip

The train goes all the way to Simon's Town (end of the line); the section from Muizenberg to Simon's Town (via Kalk Bay and Fish Hoek) is very, very scenic - right next to the sea. Well worth the trip, I've done it many, many times. Simon's Town is good for a stroll around as well, it has plenty of restaurants and coffee shops with a couple of small museums and SA's major naval base.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 12:58
Reply to: Kalk Bay day trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted