We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear for afternoon tea at the Mount Nelson

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear for afternoon tea at the Mount Nelson

I'm visiting with friends in a couple of weeks time and we've booked afternoon tea at the Mount Nelson whilst we're there. Would jeans and a smart top be okay? In England is can vary depending on where you go.

17 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
582 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What to wear for afternoon tea at the Mount Nelson

Bucketlisters

That made me smile and just what my mum says :)

But I love my jeans and dress them up or down.

In August it's highly unlikely to be that hot, in fact all I have seen are photos of friends in jumpers, coats and scarves in Cape Town the last couple of weeks!

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What to wear for afternoon tea at the Mount Nelson

I wore a dress when I had afternoon tea at The Savoy in London and jeans and a smart top when I had it at the Mandarin Oriental in NYC. I don't wear skirts. As usual when I go on holiday I expect I'll bring lots of clothes, some of which I won't wear but at least it gives me choices.

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What to wear for afternoon tea at the Mount Nelson

Lisa - do you think that's just because it's cold to them? Where I've checked the weather it's saying it's 17/18 degrees which to me is top/light cardi or light top weather!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
582 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What to wear for afternoon tea at the Mount Nelson

The last 2 weeks have been particularly chilly, especially out of Cape Town in the winelands for example or other valleys, where temps have been ranging from 2 degs to 18 degs in a day. They even had snow on the mountains 2 weeks ago.

But yes, locals definitely class cold as warmer than us! I met a friend for lunch a couiple of years ago. It was 15 degs. I had a light jacket on and she had a wooly winter coat on :)

I have been in winter a few times and on warm days it can be 25 degs but on cold days it can be 12 degs and it is chilly at night.

I usually live in jeans, t shirts, cardi, light weight jacket and an umbrella in case it rains.

On a nice winter's day it is stunning. The sky is so blue and the sunsets are amazing.

Lisa

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What to wear for afternoon tea at the Mount Nelson

Thanks Lisa. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions before the holiday :)

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What to wear for afternoon tea at the Mount Nelson

I'm with you Bucket-Lister. Jeans don't go on holiday with me unless I'm "camping". Not on safari, not to cities and certainly not to high tea. Casual does not have to be dressed down.

I live in jeans and t's too. But there's a time and place. Not in my suitcase.

Boston, MA, USA
Level Contributor
693 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: What to wear for afternoon tea at the Mount Nelson

CBIR ..... you are my BFF.....a long skirt if it's cool out....I also feel it's much easier in public restrooms,planes,etc to pull something up instead of pants,capris,jeans,etc. which hang to close to the floor for me!!l😭😭😭😭

Reply to: What to wear for afternoon tea at the Mount Nelson
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted