We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North of Cape Town...spectacular flowers.

Saint Julian's...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
North of Cape Town...spectacular flowers.

My husband and I will be in Cape Town for the last week of August and will have the use of a rental car. I understand the swathes of flowers north of CT should still afford a wonderful show at this time of year. With a full day to view this spectacle would anyone be able to suggest a round route for us to take? We would be returning to CT befor sunset but plan to head out early in the day. Our thanks.

10 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North of Cape Town...spectacular flowers.

Hi

Firstly you need a sunny day as the flowers come out in the sun.

I would head up to the West Coast National Park, which is just off the R27 north of Cape Town. It's just over an hour to get there.

Then I would just drive yourself around the park. In the flower season the Potsberg section is also open. The flowers here are spectacular and you will probably see plenty of animals in this section too.

You can have lunch at the restaurant in the park, Gelbeek. Make sure you also take a walk out to the bird hides here, you should be able to see flamingos and other water birds.

Lisa

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North of Cape Town...spectacular flowers.

The flowers are best viewed:

- between 11am and 3pm,

- on sunny days

- on windless days

- while looking (driving) south.

Not all that easy. And not that many to see by accident just driving along the main roads.

Suggest you only plan to get into, and dawdle around, the Postberg section of the West Coast National Park, preferably not on a weekend, when it tend to get crowded.

Take a picnic lunch, or have brunch before the park. There is only one restaurant in the park and this is hit and miss. Langebaan is good spot for brunch.

Saint Julian's...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: North of Cape Town...spectacular flowers.

Thank you Lisa. Now I know to keep ourselves loose as regards specific activities on certain days so we can head off at the first sign of a sunny day, fingers crossed. Best regards.

Saint Julian's...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: North of Cape Town...spectacular flowers.

Thank you Gerald. We hope that sunny day will present itself during our nine day stay. My regards.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North of Cape Town...spectacular flowers.

Look at yr.no for the weather forecast, put in Langebaan. I usually find it's pretty accurate 3 days out.

I was there the last weekend in August last year and I was blown away! By the flowers, there wasn't a breath of wind! Although it was busy on a weekend, as Gerald says it would be better to visit during the week.

Saint Julian's...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: North of Cape Town...spectacular flowers.

Will let you know if we are just as lucky. First sunny day and we'll be on our way!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North of Cape Town...spectacular flowers.

Fingers crossed for you

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North of Cape Town...spectacular flowers.

Thank you Lisa & Gerald for these valuable information & suggestions. My husband & I will be in Cape Town for first time and plan to visit this park during this time frame. Can you recommend or know a tour company that offers tour to West Coast NP?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North of Cape Town...spectacular flowers.

Hi Sugarpooh

I always drive myself in the park and start from Paternoster.

However, last year I did see groups with guides in the park. I just did a quick Google and it seems as though there are tours.

Maybe give Cape Town tourism a call?

Lisa

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North of Cape Town...spectacular flowers.

Hi Lisa, how you been?

I've saved your posts and most appreciative of your insights and guidance especially for first-timers like us. Your responsiveness to some of these unending inquiries is truly remarkable. Thank you!

I reached out to private tour companies, websites and services offered. I'm certain that my hotel concierge will deliver too.

Reply to: North of Cape Town...spectacular flowers.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted