We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery/wine shopping in Camps Bay

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
40 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery/wine shopping in Camps Bay

We are renting an apartment in Camps Bay, very close to the Pick-n-Pay on the main road. Is this the best place to pick up kitchen staples, including wine? Is it possible to do the online ordering and delivery to have some things there when we arrive? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
13 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
6,260 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery/wine shopping in Camps Bay

Pick and Pay do have an online service.

I personally stopped using them, because there were too many substitutes in my orders.

Personally, I much prefer to shop in person.

However...........

Below is a link to a website giving details.

Please note the following:

An authorised signatory needs to be available for the full duration of the delivery slot as the driver may arrive at any time within the slot you specified. In the event that no one is available to accept and sign for your delivery order, the delivery driver will wait for ten (10) minutes, after which the order will be returned to us. A delivery card will be left at your delivery address, detailing the time of arrival and departure and the start and end time of the chosen time slot. You will be asked to contact the Call Centre at your earliest convenience to arrange an alternative delivery time. You may be liable for a redelivery fee, please consult our Terms and Conditions.

Your order must be signed for by yourself or a nominated representative who is at least 18 years old. ID may be required and is mandatory where liquor is included in the order.

https://shop.pnp.co.za/b2c_pnp/b2c/displayCMSFAQ/(layout=5.1-6_2_4_86_85_8_3&uiarea=4&carea=%24ROOT)/.do?faqID=271217

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
40 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery/wine shopping in Camps Bay

Thank you, that's helpful. I may do that just to get us through the evening and our first morning, as we will be arriving later in the day/evening. I agree, I prefer to shop in person, but after 30+ hours of traveling, I don't imagine we will feel like it until we get some sleep!

I've read different things online about wine and beer in that particular Pick n Pay. Does anyone know if they sell it there or will we need to travel to Sea Point? We won't have a car for the first six days. We could Uber, I suppose.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery/wine shopping in Camps Bay

Pick and Pay in Camps Bay will be more than adequate.

Home delivery is great if you don't want to lug heavy parcels (especially bottles of drinks) around. But like Gavin, I prefer to shop in person. Especially when I am on holiday and I am not familiar with the brands/labels on products.

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery/wine shopping in Camps Bay

I see that you don't have access to a car while you are there, so the P&P may be your only option. I was there for 10 days in September and went into that Pick n Pay once. Once was enough. It's an embarrassment to Pick n Pay. I ended up driving to the Spar in Hout Bay for supplies each day. An added bonus of that was the awesome scenery on the way.

If you can, rent a car. If you can't, I'm sure the P&P will suffice. It's just not a very nice place in my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Hout Bay
Hout Bay
2,826 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery/wine shopping in Camps Bay

I also meant to say, enjoy your stay in Camps Bay. It really is beautiful, as is Cape Town as a whole. You're going to love it.

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
617 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery/wine shopping in Camps Bay

I agree that it is a very poor Pick n Pay in Camps Bay.

An Uber will be very cheap to Sea Point, where there is a very good Spar and Woolworths.

If you are landing at Cape Town airport there is a small but sufficient Woolworths at the airport to get you started.

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery/wine shopping in Camps Bay

That's a shame to hear that P & P in Camps Bay has "gone downhill".

I lived in Cape Town for a few years in the late '90's and regularly shopped there.

Edited: 19 October 2016, 19:50
Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Strand
Level Contributor
100 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery/wine shopping in Camps Bay

Groceries are available in Camps Bay at the Pick and Pay. No liquor though. The closest liquor stores are either in Gardens or in Seapoint.

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
40 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery/wine shopping in Camps Bay

Thanks for the info, everyone! We plan to uber most places, so I'll probably just do that to get what we need if we find the Camps Bay market doesn't have everything. There are too many fun places to eat out, so I don't plan to cook dinners in the apartment, just breakfast and picnic lunches. Hopefully the local market will be adequate for that, and then I'll pick up wine etc. while out and about during the day. I've very excited about our trip. I didn't know where to stay in Cape Town, but came across Camps Bay and have heard nothing but good reviews of the area since booking.

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
kent
Level Contributor
46 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery/wine shopping in Camps Bay

why is it an embarrassment to pick and pay, we are going to camp bay soon and looking to pop in here just wondered what you meant???

Reply to: Grocery/wine shopping in Camps Bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay