We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-3 Days in June-- Cape Town or Camps Bay?

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
27 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
2-3 Days in June-- Cape Town or Camps Bay?

I am attending a Convention in Cape Town in June, and have planned to meet up with a girlfriend (non-romantic) for a few days before the meeting. We have already booked a wine tour/safari, during which we will stay in a lodge (1 night). During the convention (3 nights) we will be staying near the convention center in the city. We will not have a car.

My question is about what to do during those first jet lagged days before the safari.

I am considering arriving an extra day early because I am going to be traveling from California. I am in my 60's and jet lag is harder than it used to be. My friend is in her 30's, from Sweden and will hardly change time zones. We are both in great health and enjoy hiking, easy bike riding, reading on the beach, drinking beer and laughing.

If I come a day early, it will be 3 days and 3 nights for me, 2 days and 2 nights for her. I was thinking it might be interesting to stay outside of Cape Town in Camps Bay for those first few days. If it were summer, this would be a no-brainer. But since it will be late fall/winter and likely to rain I wonder about this choice. For instance, I have looked at several hotels that have balconies facing the water. If the wind is blocked and it is sunny I could see enjoying some hours out there. But if it is cold . . . not.

So -- should I stay those first 3 nights in Camp Bay or elsewhere?

If not in Camp Bay where?

Is it worth it in June to pay for a sea view balcony?

Are 3 days too many - should we move around?

Thanks so much.

Edgewood

Level Contributor
25 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-3 Days in June-- Cape Town or Camps Bay?

I would not stay in Camps Bay in winter. Rather, get a hotel with great sea views closer to town, like the Radison Blu next to the V&A so that you can enjoy the sea and make the most of the odd sunny day. There are perfect days in winter which will make you think it is summer. From the Radison or other hotels in Mouille Point, you can take Uber to any destination, but from Camps Bay it is always a long drive.

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
119 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-3 Days in June-- Cape Town or Camps Bay?

I agree with Renso. In winter, Camps Bay can be a bit miserable and there isn't a huge amount to do that isn't exposed to the elements.

I would stay in Greenpoint, Kloof Street or around the Waterfront. You can still have a sea view, but with more options in case of bad weather.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-3 Days in June-- Cape Town or Camps Bay?

Cape Town is a smaller city and staying in Camps Bay, Bantry Bay or along the Atlantic Seaboard in never more than a 10 minute drive to the city centre and watching the rain over the ocean is beautiful. Winter is Cape Town does have it's beautiful days and then you might want to spend an evening drinking wine along the ocean front. Having an ocean view from your room is always a treat and is perfect for winter or cooler days when you would like to sleep later or just watch the ocean from your room.

All the beat

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
27 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-3 Days in June-- Cape Town or Camps Bay?

These comments were very helpful. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. It is looking like we will have only one day and 2 nights prior to safari, but still it looks like the best bet will be to stay in Cape Town. I think we will go for a small boutique hotel since we are staying at a big hotel during the convention.

Thanks again.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
621 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-3 Days in June-- Cape Town or Camps Bay?

Also look at guest houses, these are more like boutique hotels in South Africa.

I like the areas around Oranjezicht and Tamboerskloof - close to the city but not too close!

Lisa

6. Re: 2-3 Days in June-- Cape Town or Camps Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2017, 10:48
Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay