We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help choosing where to stay with three teenagers

Broseley, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
help choosing where to stay with three teenagers

Hi

We are coming to Cape Town for two nights on the 24th July, after doing a safari trip around Kruger, the Drakensberg mountains and other great places. We want the last two days to be in luxury accommodation that will house all 5 of us, preferably 3 bed suite in a beach front hotel. Would like to be near the sea, have been told camps bay is nice. Want to visit table top mountain. Wont be hiring a car so would like to walk to nice bars and restaurants. Just looking for the perfect end to a once in a life time holiday with out family. Thanks

London
Level Contributor
146 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help choosing where to stay with three teenagers

Camps Bay is a good bet. It's by the sea, there's plenty of luxury accommodation options and you can walk to bars and restaurants.

I would definitely recommend a car as it would pay for itself by the time you factor in airport transfers and taxis to and from the cable car.

Try Airbnb for accommodation - there are lots of luxurious houses/apartments and it can be a lot better value than a hotel.

Enjoy.

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
119 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help choosing where to stay with three teenagers

Camps Bay sounds like a good spot for you then! I have never stayed there, but but the Bay Hotel looks stunning with a beautiful pool that overlooks the ocean. This is right on the main strip, across the street from the beach and in a row of great bars and restaurants.

It's about fifteen minutes form town, by car. Ten to Table Mountain.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: help choosing where to stay with three teenagers

Just remember that the end of July is the heart of winter. Our winter weather is pretty variable. If you only stay for two nights you probably won't however see too much variability. You will either get cool sun (say 14-16C) and a couple of nice clear days. But you are just as likely (more?) to get South Atlantic storms and horizontal rain.

You can take your chance and stay by the beach - but at this time you need to get well wrapped up even to walk on the beach. And certainly don't think of going in the sea. It will actually be much colder than Blackpool in winter!

Personally I wouldn't stay in Camps Bay in winter. Sometimes the storms block the road outside the Bay Hotel by dumping sand from the beach. And, as you are here Sunday afternoon through Tuesday, there won't even be too many people wandering around - even on sunny days. Quite a few of the restaurants here are closed in the middle of winter. The owners and staff often tend to be out of Cape Town at this time of year as they don't have so many visitors. They take their holidays at this time in warmer drier places!

This is a much better time to find a nice cosy guesthouse or hotel in the City Bowl area. There is a lot more happening here. The much better restaurants in the City Bowl are open for locals and many of them have great winter special offers. Accommodation rates are also much lower than high summer season prices so you can get great bargains.

One other thing to be aware of. Every winter the Table Mountain Cableway shuts down for around two weeks for annual safety maintenance. This is normally the last week in July and the first week in August - although the dates vary a bit. I haven't yet seen the projected dates for 2016. Maybe they have been published and someone might know them? If you are here when they are closed then the only way to go up is to hike. A pretty difficult 5 hour hike up and down. Don't however attempt this if the weather is not good - at this time the mountain often "disappears" for days at a time! More people die every year hiking on Table Mountain than on Mount Everest!

So Cape Town is still a great city with a lot to do. Wrap up warm, keep you fingers crossed for sun and have a wonderful time. Then plan to come back again soon to see what a wonderful place this is in summer!

Edited: 12 February 2016, 15:53
Broseley, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help choosing where to stay with three teenagers

Hi

Thank you for your helpful reply. Although we realised it was your winter then we had not realised that the storms were so bad!! We imagined fair temperatures and to be able to walk along the beach. I will see if i can find more out about the maintenance of the cable car. Visiting table mountain by cable car was the main reason for adding cape town on to the end of our trip!!

Broseley, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help choosing where to stay with three teenagers

thank you for your reply. i will take a look at the cost of car hire, i had just ruled it out as we were only going to be there for a couple of days but as you say it may work out cheaper and having looked at one of the other replies it might be that the weather wont be good enough to do what we wanted to do anyway!!!!

Broseley, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help choosing where to stay with three teenagers

thank you ,i will take a look at the bay hotel, although one of the other replies mentions that it might be very quiet and a lot of places closed in July

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help choosing where to stay with three teenagers

We stayed at the Redcliffe House at the More Quarters hotel. Gorgeous 4 bedroom home each with it's own bath and lovely living areas and fire place. Luxurious service (including hot water bottles at the foot of each bed each evening), breakfast included, and walking distance to shops/restaurants. We didn't bother with a car - we hired their van/driver to take us where we needed to go and it was very reasonable.

Best,

Mia

8. Re: help choosing where to stay with three teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2017, 10:47