We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camps Bay/Cape Town Night Life During Weekend and Week Days

Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
341 posts
77 reviews
Camps Bay/Cape Town Night Life During Weekend and Week Days

Wife and I are planning to stay at PODS Camp Bay Hotel in mid-August for several days after visiting Zanzibar first. The problem is we will only be able to do one of the destinations during the weekend (Thursday thru Sunday). I wanted to know how is the nightlife around Camps Bay and Cape Town during early week if we choose Zanzibar for the latter week/weekend?

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
119 posts
87 reviews
1. Re: Camps Bay/Cape Town Night Life During Weekend and Week Days

Hi there,

August is still out winter season and Camps Bay is an outdoor strip of some great restaurants and bars, but mostly with seating spilling out onto the pavement. It's not exactly hopping during winter, and I would think especially not during the week. You'll be able to get a nice meal but I wouldn't hold thumbs for a party.

Most of Cape Town's nightlife gets going toward the end of the week. Mondays and Tuesdays are quite quiet, but it picks up on Thursdays. You'll need to look of the tourist map to find a buzzing vibe, like around Bree Street and Kloof Street. This about 15 minutes by cab, from Camps Bay.

That time of year, weekends are definitely a better bet for a good party. It depends on what you're looking for?

Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
341 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: Camps Bay/Cape Town Night Life During Weekend and Week Days

Thank you, this helps tremendously. Being that our initial visits will be in Ghana and Tanzania, it totally slipped our minds that SA winter will be more cooler since it's further away from the equator. I did find a great website of things to do in Cape Town during the winter. My only fear is that now I realize the weather difference, I'm coming across articles that weather is somewhat unpredictable in August (cold spells, storms, etc.). Would you say that the weather is normally calm enough to do some of the things listed in the article, particularly things like the coffee tour, wine tour, canopy walk, etc. Normal enough for sweater-type clothing.

capetown.travel/blog/entry/100-things-to-do-…

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Camps Bay/Cape Town Night Life During Weekend and Week Days

The problem with August is that anything can happen, weather-wise. Normally, it's a very wet and cold month but last August was almost mild and it rained so little that we have dams only half full. It's predicted that next winter will be the same but who knows ...

However, even under normal winter conditions, we often have some lovely mild weather in the middle of winter. Days and nights may be cool or even very cold, but the sun shines and a light sweater/jacket is sufficient in the daytime.

Don't over-analyse things and just plan for the unexpected. Bring a couple of warm overclothes.

There are so many activities on that list, you're bound to be able to do many of them.

Camps Bay is only one of many suburbs and places for you to have fun and many others are far more interesting!

Francoise Armour, Tours du Cap

Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
341 posts
77 reviews
4. Re: Camps Bay/Cape Town Night Life During Weekend and Week Days

Thank you, a tremendous help. i was re-considering a different destination but I just can't come that far to the continent and not visit South Africa, Cape Town in general. Even though I'm still going to be bummed about not being able to swim the beaches, I think we're going to stick to our original itinerary and visit.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Camps Bay/Cape Town Night Life During Weekend and Week Days

Good for you! If it's any comfort, even in the middle of summer the sea water is very cold, so even in summer you may not get much of a swim - one tends to just dive in very quickly to cool off.

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
119 posts
87 reviews
6. Re: Camps Bay/Cape Town Night Life During Weekend and Week Days

Wine tours are great in winter, there are some fantastic restaurants on the wine farms and most of the tasting areas will be inside. Plus, Stellenbosch and Franschhoek can be brutally hot in summer so this of this as a win!

I've done the canopy tour in bad weather before. As long as it's not storming, grab an umbrella and shoes with a good grip and it'll be fine. During my winter-y visit there was a thing layer of cloud lying below the tree line. it was stunning.

Cape Town in winter is unpredictable, but for every three days of bad weather you'll get a beautiful day shining through. It's rarely a solid block a foul weather, so don't be disheartened. You probably won't want to swim, but with a warm jacket a beach sunset is definitely possible.

Pack in layers. You'll need t-shirts and jerseys, and a rain jacket.

Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
341 posts
77 reviews
7. Re: Camps Bay/Cape Town Night Life During Weekend and Week Days

Thanks for the insights and encouragement. I've already picked our activities out from the list - Robbens Island tour, Steenberg wine tasting, lunch at Water's Edge, dinners at Gold Restaurant & Crypt Restaurant, Boomslang Aerial Walkway, Red Bus one day, Stones one night. When and where, of course, will all depend on weather on particular days.

8. Re: Camps Bay/Cape Town Night Life During Weekend and Week Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2017, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay