We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whats the best vineyard to visit ?

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
311 posts
40 reviews
whats the best vineyard to visit ?

Hi,

We arrive on the 16th of Jan and we have a few trips already planned, however I will be driving to a vineyard and the other 3 people with me will be doing the tasting. I'm sure there are a lot of nice ones to visit but does anyone have a particular one to recommend ?. We are staying in camps bay.

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
19,694 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: whats the best vineyard to visit ?

Oh my!!! There are literally hundreds of vineyards in and around Cape Town and the Winelands!!! What sort of wines does your party want to taste? How far are you willing to drive?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
2. Re: whats the best vineyard to visit ?

Wow how does one reply to this?

how long is a piece of string?

What is the best?

A very subjective conundrum!

One should first ascertain the style of wine, sweet, semi sweet, dry, modern or traditional, the cultivar and whether white or red (or both), sparkling or still, that are preferred by the "tasters", then someone on TA will be able to assist.

(Not to mention budget)

Although I have a KWV Final diploma in Cape Wines, I would not dare to advise, owing to the fact that this is a very complex subject, and, all too often "the best wine' is totally subjective, on the part of the consumer

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: whats the best vineyard to visit ?

If you're only intending to visit one of them, you're aiming too low!

Francoise Armour, Tours du Cap

Edited: 22 December 2015, 00:52
Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
311 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: whats the best vineyard to visit ?

Sorry folks should have done a bit of homework before asking,it's well seen I don't touch wine but they like a sparkling wine. I didn't realise there was so many to visit so my apologies for this and many thanks for replying.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: whats the best vineyard to visit ?

take a look at the Wine Tram from Franschoek, it is a fun day of tasting, scenery and good places to eat.

www.winetram.co.za

I loved the picnic at Boschendal, the architecture at Delaire Graaf, Spier offers some other amusements and has a lake, I don't drink at all but have always enjoyed myself in the Winelands .

The list is endless.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
17,493 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: whats the best vineyard to visit ?

Just to give a sketch of how difficult and subjective it is to answer, consider...

There are over 300 wineries in the Stellenbosch wine route, which is divided into sub-routes. Franschhoek has a wine route, and there are wineries in Constantia, Hermanus, Paarl, Wellington and Durbanville (and more).

Wineries with views. Wineries noted for their restaurants. Wineries with historical interest. With cheese. With activities on site. Some that are virtually all-inclusive resorts.

On top of the many varietals in production. So, best in what way?

Suggest you do a little research to narrow it down. Or do a tour of one route to sample 3 or 4 estates including a good lunch.

Leipzig, Germany
Level Contributor
128 posts
7. Re: whats the best vineyard to visit ?

vhttp://www.vergelegen.co.za/

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
19,694 posts
61 reviews
8. Re: whats the best vineyard to visit ?

I would really do some research about the Winelands! They are wonderful and a lot of the wine estates offer much more than just wine tasting.

If your party enjoy fizz then I highly recommend a visit to J.C. La Roux just outside Stellenbosch, where they will be able to do a tasting of the South African equivalent of Champagne paired with chocolates/nougat!!

Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
9. Re: whats the best vineyard to visit ?

I really enjoyed the outdoor seating and view from Haute Cabriere, also liked the food at Muratie. I also enjoyed Boschendahl, Buitenverwachting. Have heard good things about and plan to visit in my next trip the following: Hidden Valley, Babylonstoren, and Tokara.

As everyone said though, there are so many and depends on your taste, I feel like you can't go wrong! I would hire a driver for the day, and if you're not a fan of one just leave and drive to the next!

10. Re: whats the best vineyard to visit ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 December 2015, 17:35
Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay