We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Accommodation in Camps Bay

New Zealand
Level Contributor
696 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Family Accommodation in Camps Bay

We are going to be arriving in Capetown at the end of February, we will have 5 days in Capetown, after perusing the forums it looks like Camps Bay will suit us.

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children who will be 5 and 2.

The travel agent has recommended Camps Bay resort but the reviews appear very mixed.

Since we are doing a red eye flight it might take us a few days to get into our usual routine so we need a bit of space at least 2 bedrooms. Restaurants close by and maybe breakfast on site. It would be nice if there was a pool. We will have a rental car so also parking that is easy to access so we can explore the sights in the morning come back in the afternoon, those that want to rest can do so and those that want to go for a walk/to the beach/swim can also do this without having to go too far.

Middle of the range budget.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
621 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Accommodation in Camps Bay

Hi

I never use an agent for South Africa, it's one of the easiest places to organise everything yourself.

There are lots of self catering places close to the beach in Cape Town. Don't expect to be swimming in the sea, it's freezing! Unless your kids are very brave!

Camps Bay would be good for what you describe, as would Sea Point or even Hout Bay, which is a little further out but no problem with a car

Lisa

New Zealand
Level Contributor
696 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Accommodation in Camps Bay

Thanks, the reason for using the agent is travel agent airfares which were cheaper than we could get online and since he was booking I thought I would let him nut out a bit of an itinerary for us, he has found some really good places on the Garden route and I just don't have the time to do everything myself. We have been to Poland and Amsterdam in the last 2 weeks and will be visiting 4 more countries by the end of January.

I have heard about the sea temperatures and interested to see if it is even colder than swimming in NZ.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Accommodation in Camps Bay

Camps Bay is fine. Your best bet would be a guesthouse/lodge but make sure it is within walking distance to the beach and restaurants because it's a hilly area so a few streets away could be a steep walk.

A guesthouse, as opposed to a self-catering, would give you the on site breakfast you mention (and all of them are always fabulous breakfasts).

Other suburbs to look at are Sea Point or Green Point - also hilly, so check on a map where the places are, and/or check back with us.

Mouille Point is also good - close to a lovely park for the kids, and the famous little Blue Train, but this is mostly apartments, very few houses.

Look at the Winchester Mansions Hotel ..... they have family suites, on the beachfront, close to everything.

NB: Feb is still season so don't wait too long.

Francoise Armour, Tours du Cap

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
224 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Accommodation in Camps Bay

I wouldn't necessarily write off self-catering properties. MY preference would be an apartment / house within walking distance of the beach. The privacy will allow you to not worry about your young children and their impact on other guests. There are a number of great restaurants that serve excellent breakfasts all the way along the strip, or if you prefer most apartment managers will be able to stock your fridge with breakfast goodies.

Thanks

Richard Marshall

Nox Rentals

Cape Town Vacation Rentals

New Zealand
Level Contributor
696 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Accommodation in Camps Bay

Other than the usual tripadvisor, booking.com and airbnb are there any other sites for vacation rentals.

Or any recommendations for an apartment complex, centrally located and with a shared pool?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Accommodation in Camps Bay

Cape Stay is good. http://www.capestay.co.za/

Also, Safari Now. http://www.safarinow.com/

Strand
Level Contributor
100 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Accommodation in Camps Bay

Try Brighton Court in Camps Bay. Right on the coast. Great Apartments,

New Zealand
Level Contributor
696 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Accommodation in Camps Bay

Thanks Brighton court looks suitable I am just in the process of enquiring on a couple of airbnb apartments in Sea Point so will keep it in mind if those fall through.

9. Re: Family Accommodation in Camps Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2016, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay