We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camps Bay Villa Rental

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
10 posts
44 reviews
Camps Bay Villa Rental

I will be in Cape Town for 4 nights mid January and am looking to rent a villa from either Icon Villas or Blue Views. We thought it would be nice to be close to the beach and restaurants as opposed to what sounds to be the more touristy area of V&A waterfront.

Does anyone have any experience with these companies? Also is it safe to stay in a Villa in that area? All of the homes mention a security system as an amenitiy which is why I ask. Lastly, I did not plan on renting a car. Is Uber readily available and safe in that area? Thank you for any input you may have.

(I am considering Villa Oudekrall 4, Bakoven Beat, Vivid, and Bakoven Penthouse 2)

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Camps Bay Villa Rental

Camps Bay and Bakoven are perfect for your needs (but Camps Bay does get very busy!).

Safe and close to the beach (with icy waters) restaurants and transport.

Safety is an issue in South Africa and the more upmarket suburbs all have lots of security (because they have more to appeal to burglars!)

Uber is experiencing the same 'problems' here as elsewhere but the service exists and works just fine. Their rates increase when they are very busy. We also have many good reliable cab companies.

I see that Blue Views has a TA presence but not the oher one. Although I've not dealt with either of them, I'd suggest you deal with the one that is present here.

Francoise Armour, Tours du Cap

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
10 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Camps Bay Villa Rental

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,320 posts
3. Re: Camps Bay Villa Rental

Additionally to Taxis, if you are staying in Camps Bay the best way to get around the city is to use the bus service.

Cape Town has an excellent new integrated bus system, MyCiTi. Fast, modern,safe and very cheap - much cheaper than taking taxis everywhere if you don't have a car. It is by far the best public transport in Cape Town. It is also frequent - on some routes every 5-10 mins at some times of day. The one downside is that although rapidly expanding, it doesn't yet go everywhere. At the moment it is concentrated on the City Centre, the West Cost suburbs north of the city and the Atlantic coast suburbs to the south. However Camps Bay is served by four different routes. You need routes 106, 107, 108 and 109 lots of stops in all areas of Cam[s Bay.

Here is a link to the current system map -

http://myciti.org.za/docs/697/system_map.pdf

If you prefer an actual map rather than a schematic, on this page you can download a map of the Bus routes around the main tourist areas -

myciti.org.za/docs/…202015.pdf

If you aim to use the MyCiti buses and you have a smart phone get the My Citi App for your phone which will give you bus times - directions to the nearest stop, maps etc. Although at present, bus arrival times at sops are as per timetable and not real time by GPS - they are however trialing that at the moment. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…

You need to get a MyConnect card onto which you load money and use just like a London Oyster card. You can get these at offices and stores around the city and suburbs and at all the main Bus Stations.

Edited: 08 October 2015, 22:57
4. Re: Camps Bay Villa Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 October 2015, 15:05
5. Re: Camps Bay Villa Rental

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 November 2015, 16:36
6. Re: Camps Bay Villa Rental

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2016, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Camps Bay